Why is a nursing major so "difficult"?

<p>I am an incoming freshman at Bloomsburg University and am majoring in nursing. I've heard from a number of people who have gone to nursing school that it's very challenging, however I'd like to know what exactly is challenging about it and what I should prepare myself for. One current student from a different school told me chemistry was a difficult class and she had failed it twice. How would I go about preparing for that class and others that I may struggle in?</p>

<p>Although it varies by the Program/University, overall Nursing Curriculums have been becoming increasingly more intense in both their academic and clinical components as the Nursing Field is trying to expand its role/credibility within the Healthcare System as a distinct Healthcare Discipline providing high quality care to patients. Basic science courses such as biology and chemistry are commonly taught in the first year. In the past “toned down” versions of these courses where often given to nursing students. Now many programs require students to take the same courses as students who are majoring in biology and chemistry. By definition these courses are going to be tougher to pass or do well in.</p>

<p>The best advice I could give you is to study hard from the first class of the courses. Sometimes students starting college give priorities to other non-academic things (i.e. partying, etc.) and it is easy to fall behind (and then they find it is difficult to catch up). If you begin to have problems with a course contact your professors ASAP and follow any directions/advice they might give you. Also many universities have “help centers” where students can go to request help with courses they are having problems with. This could include indivdual or group tutoring or other things. The key is getting help as early as possible as soon as you feel you are having difficulties with a course. Hope this info is helpful.</p>

<p>Thanks!:slight_smile: I’m not a partier at all so that definitely won’t be an issue for me. I think bloom has tutors available so I can keep that in mind.</p>

<p>My advice would be to take the chem class in the summer where it would be your sole focus</p>

<p>This thread popped up in my “What’s the Chatter?” box, and being an RN (with BSN) for 25 plus years, I was curious as to its contents.</p>

<p>I was a nursing major in the early/mid eighties and I certainly did not take any “toned down” science courses! I’ve never heard of such a thing. I would think general biology, chemistry courses would be open to whatever students need to take the course towards their major. Really…“Biology for Nursing Students”? </p>

<p>A BSN is a science degree. It requires learning and mastering science courses. They are the building blocks that are needed for the more advanced clinical courses. </p>

<p>Anyway…just had to pipe in :slight_smile: Glad to see that there are more young people entering the profession - so many different avenues to take with it. Good luck!!</p>

<p>At some colleges, nursing students find them in chem and bio classes with hyper- competitive pre-meds.</p>

<p>At other colleges, the nursing program is very competitive to enter, and the nursing program is run like a very competitive college. However, the nursing students look around and see so many other students in other programs slacking off. In that case, it is not that the nursing program is overly tough, it is that the other programs at the college are too easy.</p>

<p>Qdogpa, It’s a little too late to take chem in the summer since it’s already the middle of July and I have chem my very first semester.:/</p>

<p>I hope you had some chemistry courses in HS. As it is probably too late to take a summer course the only thing I could suggest now is that if you know the specific chemistry course you will be taking, and the textbook is identified, you might want to consider purchasing it ASAP and begin to review it. Textbooks tend to be a little cheaper if you puchase them on-line (i.e. Amazon.com). It would at least give you some idea of the intensity of the course. Of course you will not know for sure until you start the class and get some feel for the professor/course content. If you know the professor’s name already you can go to Ratemyprofessors.com and go to Bloomsburg’s site and you will find past student comments about the professor and the course. This info can often be helpful. Once you start the course if you find that you are having problems with it I would recommend following my previous recommendations. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>Yeah I’ve had cp chem my sophomore year of high school and had a really easy time with it. I got a 98% weighted. But I know high school chem and college chem are very different when it comes to difficulty level. I am able to find out who my professor is so I will definitely check out that website.:slight_smile: I don’t know my textbook yet but I will probably find out next week during my preview day. Thanks for your advice!:)</p>

<p>Good luck on your journey to becoming a nurse.</p>

<p>I am currently doing nursing at a community college with a good nursing program (it’s so considered in my area). I have taken pre-reqs at this same college. Nursing classes have been much harder though, than the previous science classes. No bonus points, no forgivness (such as dropping the lowest grade) and a LOT of material to cover in a short time. If in science class I spent maybe 3-4 days before exam really studying, in nursing class I study all the time between exams. My first class had 9 exams (in 16 weeks) and about 150 pages at least for each. Besides the load (and simultaneous clinical assignments) nursing is not just what you read in the book. You get questions that are dubious (or so they appear). You have to chose the “best” answer. But you may find at least two answers true. Only one will be the best… In short it’s not just memorizing of large amounts of stuff like in a regular science courses. I am taking in Summer II couple of non-nursing classes to complete my AA and I consider it “vacation” compare to my “nursing semester”.</p>

<p>I also graduated in the 1980’s. I went to St. Mary’s College in Notre Dame Indiana. There were 100 pre nursing majors at the start of Freshman year and 50 accepted in the junior year. We had to maintain a high GPA and we needed to prove ourselves in anatomy lab. We did dissections and had lots of great liberal arts courses also. </p>

<p>Nursing requires a person to integrate science, art, psychology, sociology and intuitive spiritual presence. It’s not for most people because you need to communicate well and be good at alot of different subjects. It’s so worth it because every day you are rewarded by a sense of accomplishment and appreciation from patients. </p>

<p>I am a pediatric nurse and it’s also a great life with kids. Flexible hours with lots of teaching.</p>

<p>I graduated from Kent State nursing program in 1999. It was very rigorous and the clinicals were the hardest. We lost over 1/4 of the class from beginning to end. Maybe more like a 1/3. And I never took any “toned down” science!</p>

<p>I guess it needs to be tough because you are dealing with peoples lives…they need to know who can make it.</p>

I am currently a senior in the nursing program at the University of Southern Maine. Nursing school is extremely difficult and looked at as the hardest major because of all the provisions they put on nursing students. Just to give you an example, at my school you have to have above a 3.0 in all the science classes. A C is considered failing and you can only fail 3 times or your kicked out of the program (some schools only let you fail once). If you miss three classes (3 tardies is considered an absence) you fail the class. You have to average a 77 on your exams or you fail (the final grade you get is the average test score of your exams). You can only repeat a class once and if you don’t pass your kicked out of the program. If you get two Low Passes in any of your clinicals your kicked out of the program. If you go 1 year from classes that require a clinical, they put you an entire year back. It’s absolutely ridiculous and extremely hard. My advice: give up your social life, study extremely hard, make friends who will study with you and give you advice about future classes, and know how you learn best!

In the old days, it was easy to get into a nursing program, but many flunked out. Now most students who are accepted in the nursing program have the ability to graduate, as long as they concentrate on it and avoid too many distractions. However, they have to accept the fact that they will be working harder and longer hours than almost all other students.

It can be helpful to take a online class during the summer (which have flexible timing so you can usually do it while still working during the summer). Then use those credits to take a slightly lighter course load during those semesters when you have the most demanding classes.