Why should I pick VT engineering over UVa?

<p>Tech probably has the better engineering program, right? UVa has the prestige factor, I know. I want to know how I should go about making this decision, what programs are better, etc. Is a college really worth picking due to its prestige/history, or is it better to go to a school (VT) with a better program that suits your interests?</p>

<p>tech is only better than uva's eng school by like 2 or 3 points in ranking but they are both excellent schoools. go with uva if u are accepted, mainly cause they have smaller class sizes</p>

<p>Its much better to go to a school that suits your interests. VT's Engineering Program is much more prestigious than that of UVA's. I have had internships for the past 3 summer sessions and have seen how well VT students are receieved by those in the Engineering field. If you want to go to the better school for Engineering...go to VT. period. However, if you would rather receive a less concentrated education with regard to engineering, you should go to UVA.</p>

<p>Which concentration of Engineering are you interested in?</p>

<p>Most likely Civil or Environmental</p>

<p>UVA has better students, equal or better average starting salaries, smaller classes, and better graduate school placement. Why is VT ranked higher? It might have something to do with VT's size. Have you seen where schools like Harvard, Yale, and Duke rank for engineering? They're far behind schools like VT...but would you pick VT over any of them? Absolutely not. As an undergraduate student in engineering, it's probably best to go to the school with the best overall reputation you can. As an HS senior, you may be "sure" that you want to be an engineer, but that might change once you get into some of the classes and realize that you hate them. If you're at VT, you can't exactly move laterally to a world-class business school or college of arts & sciences, and your post-graduate employment options in non-engineering fields would be worse than they'd be at UVA. </p>

<p>I'm not sure what VTEngineer means by "if you would rather receive a less concentrated education with regard to engineering, you should go to UVA." UVA engineering students take the same engineering classes that engineering students take anywhere, but when it comes to the electives they take, they have far superior options to their VT counterparts. If that's what he means by "less concentrated," then I guess he's right...lol.</p>

<p>VT's Engineering school is better. Period.</p>

<p>VTEngineer18, I can see how VT has a better engineering program, I mean its kinda obvious, as its a Polytechnical Institute. But I have to agree with cav on the overall academic reputation. UVA wins in all areas, even in chics. Period.</p>

<p>It would be absolutely absurd to choose Virginia Tech over Mr. Jefferson's University.</p>

<p>I mean choose which ever school you want...But you would literally be outside of your mind to believe that UVA gives you a better ENGINEERING education than VT. Which is exactly what the creator of this thread inquired about.</p>

<p>VTEngineer18, if VA Tech is so good, why are you considering tranferring to GA Tech?</p>

<p>My grandfather died and my parents are selling their house in Maryland and moving to the outskirts of Atlanta, Georgia. </p>

<p>I love how people thrive to make such a PROFOUND point on a web forum when they have absolutely no clue.</p>

<p>I think you could argue that UVA gives a better engineering education than VT. UVA clearly has better students, the classes are smaller, and the students are more well-rounded. In addition, they have easy access to research opportunities. Furthermore, they do as well or better as VT grads in the job market, and they definitely do better than VT grads in grad school placement.</p>

<p>This is ridiculous...I cannot believe you guys actually believe that you can get a better Engineering education at UVA. Im through arguing about it.</p>

<p>um... engineering is better at uva for all of the things that cavalier said...</p>

<p>VT is ranked higher because of the large research budget, which in no way affects the undergraduates. Senior design project teams at VT have way more students than UVA's teams do. Undergraduate engineering is more about learning than research.</p>

<p>I'm currently at Duke and I remember having an argument with this same guy about VT being better than Duke for undergraduate engineering. BS ! MY intro ECE class has 20 people, 1 full professor, the undergrad lab director, 4 TAs, and each student received a Tablet PC. you would NEVER see that at VT! Although you wouldnt see it at UVA either, UVA does provide more to the students than VT does.</p>

<p>That is TOTALLY made up...can you please provide the conversation date and correlating comments?</p>

<p>Didnt think so.</p>

<p>i don't know if this helps much, but my uncle did EE at VT for undergrad and grad, so he finished with bs and then a company paid his education for a masters. he says it has been three times in his life that he has gotten a job that makes over 125k because he's a hokie, and not a patriot (GMU) or a cavalier. he said, "when the interviewer looks at the degree from GMU and VT, Tech is on a different level. its a completely different ballgame." anyway, that was his own personal opinion.</p>

<p>I've also got 5 friends doing engineering at tech (which engineering i dont know) and they say they love it. they love the campus and especially the academics.</p>

<p>i know one person from engineering at uva, but he started working a couple years after graduation, at a position at the patent and trademark office, quit after a year, couldn't find a job after a few years, worked at Giant grocery chain, and is now working at a bank. i dont know if this is common with EE grads from UVA, but at least with him, his degree hasn't helped him. he went further to get a masters at GMU. it still hasn't.</p>

<p>ps-- the cousin is sort of wierd, doesn't really talk a lot, might have interviewing issues. but performance-wise, his coworkers said he wasn't great. again, i dont know if this is a reflection on uva's EE prog, but that's just one facet of the thousands.</p>

<p>btw, after a year, i'm counting the goddamn days until i get that f-ing acceptance letter from VIRGINIA TECH. i like the campus, i like the students, i like the atmosphere. i'm going to get my pharmacy pre reqs done, so whatever undergrad, is most arguably, going to be the same.</p>

<p>where are your brains, hokie lovers?</p>

<p>a few special cases of VT engineers doing well doesnt mean that much. some harvard grads end up unemployed.</p>

<p>p.s. VTengineer, i obviously can't document such a conversation... even if i could.. why would i care to.</p>

<p>haha...I love how Bballfag cant get over how VT Engineers are very successful in life.</p>

<p>Im extremely biased about VT...but Im sure you can succed if you were enrolled in either VT or UVA engineering.</p>

<p>I always give Bballstar a hard time... In all honesty Im sure he's a well qualified scholar.</p>