Why the Low Retention Rate?

<p>Can anyone speculate about reasons behind L&C's relatively low retention rate of 83%? For a LAC with its resources and quality of student, it should be higher. S1 admitted to L&C, but also to places like Colorado College, Santa Clara, Gonzaga, & Willamette, all of which have retention rates around 90-95%--what's going on? He likes many aspects of L&C, but the problem retaining first-year students is worrisome.</p>

<p>From another thread: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/lewis-clark-college/1139854-few-questions.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/lewis-clark-college/1139854-few-questions.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>But you bring up a good question. I don’t know why L&C would be 5% or more lower than those other schools. DD2 is now a junior and still loves it.</p>

<p>BTW, love the screen name. As a kid I used to watch him pitch.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link to that previous thread on this topic–very helpful.</p>

<p>One current L&C student characterized the study body this way: “It’s harder than normal to bridge the gap between being a regular student and being friends with the athletes… but once you get to know them, they are just as friendly as everyone else, though they do have a very distinctive vibe versus the hipsters and poets and artists which dominate the campus.” Is that how your daughter would characterize the student body @ L&C?</p>

<p>(They don’t make them like Tom Terrific anymore. It was a dark day when the Mets traded him in 1977, though I did catch his win #300 in person while he was with the White Sox, against the hated Yankees no less on Phil Rizzuto Day in the Bronx!)</p>

<p>Ah! Another NYer (I moved years ago). Grew up in Queens right off the 7 train.</p>

<p>DD2 would say there is definitely a hipster vibe. She attends poetry slams, open mic music events put on by students, the various singing groups - there is a lot going on. However she is a Math major with an Econ minor so they are welcoming of all.</p>

<p>According to L&C’s 2011-12 CDS, the retention rate was 88%- same as Willamette.</p>

<p>Hmmm. I tried pulling up 11/12 and the page is missing.</p>

<p>I’m replying to this late, but I couldn’t help but smile when I read L&C has a hipster vibe. I live about 15 mins outside of Portland and that city is the definition of Hipster. I love it though haha</p>