Why UA over other high merit schools (engineering)?

<p>We live in the NorthWest of the US. We don’t have any direct experience with the South or the local reputations of the universities. Due to my son’s dual enrollment schedule, on campus visits can’t happen until the spring. Until then, here is what I am trying to understand:</p>

<p>Like many on this board, our son has been awarded Presidential at UA, and full tuition or full ride at other schools from the guaranteed automatic list. I’ve done a lot of online research comparing these schools. UA is the easiest to research. Not only is their website very informative, but all you here on CC are great ambassadors for the school. UA notified us very quickly about how son’s DE classes would transfer. The Honors College requirements are very manageable and won’t unnecessarily increase the general requirements class load. My son is psyched about the honors dorms. There are many avenues for advanced degrees or double majors. UA clearly has their act together.</p>

<p>But… There are other solid engineering schools that also offer fantastic merit aid. </p>

<p>Why do so many of the high stat kids choose UA over the other schools that offer similar merit packages? The majority of UA is now out of state, yet only 10-15% OOS at UAHuntsville and LATech. The stats of the UA freshmen have been rising much quicker and higher than those at the other two schools I mentioned.</p>

<p>They all seem like they have a lot to offer. I recognize that UA is a flagship with awesome opportunities, but surely there are lots of students who prefer a smaller school? Or the (I presume) better co-op and intern possibilities at UAH? Or (for many) the better merit package at LATech? Or the greater likelihood of making a varsity sport?</p>

<p>I know UAH has been primarily a commuter college, but I’ve read they are focused on becoming more residential. Like UA, they also offer 5 year bachelor’s to master’s degrees. It looks like they have better underage alcohol policies (a plus for parents, anyways). Their dorms are suite style. I would think they have the same southern hospitality spoken so highly of at UA.</p>

<p>I understand UA is very appealing; it certainly has our attention. But are there other tangible or intangible qualities that, being so far away, we do not know about? Why has it been so much more successful attracting OOS high stat kids than other full tuition+ merit schools?</p>

<p>Alabama is popular in the south as are all the big SEC schools. Numerous dorms at Bama are suite style and are the nicest dorms we visited. Living in GA I haven’t heard much in the way of Huntsville or LA Tech so I can’t comment on them. I would imagine they may have more local students just as there are schools in GA that don’t attract so many out of staters but are good schools. I must say Alabama’s campus is very appealing.</p>

<p>Bama is often more desirable simply because it’s more awesome. :)</p>

<p>Specifically:</p>

<p>Bama has more regional diversity. You’re from the NW. If you’re from Calif, then it might interest you to know that over 900 Calif students are at Alabama. Can any of those other southern schools with large merit say that? </p>

<p>Bama is over 50% OOS. Other schools may be trying to be more residential, but the truth is that if most kids are from the state, then they’re going to go home on many weekends. UAH doesn’t have much to keep kids on campus on weekends, which would be quite lonely for OOS students. (I would not say that UAH students have better internships.) The same issue would apply to other schools that are drawing mostly from a 150 mile radius. These schools are suitcase schools. </p>

<p>Bama is gorgeous. Not only does it have beautiful buildings, but the grounds are also well-maintained.</p>

<p>Bama is state of the art. Over 45 new buildings have been added in recent years and the older buildings have been updated.</p>

<p>Bama has traditions and school spirit.</p>

<p>Bama has a new 900,000 Science and Engineering Complex. What other scholarship school has that? </p>

<p>Bama has great sports…The Crimson Tide. 'nuf said</p>

<p>Is your full tuition scholarship student wanting to co-op? Why? not necessary at all for a full tuition student. </p>

<p>I’m from the Seattle area. When I fist told people that I would be attending the University of Alabama,many thought that I would be going to school in Huntsville as Boeing has a large presence there…</p>

<p>Keep in mind that many, if not most OOS students at UA do not have big scholarships. Many pay full price to attend UA for any number of reasons. Students want to find a school which fits their personality. Living in the NW, you’re likely familiar with the relative popularity of certain OOS universities such as Arizona State or the University of Montana. While there are many good universities in the NW, some students want to try something different.</p>

<p>One reason why I wanted to attend a larger university is that I wanted a wide variety of courses and course sections where it would be very hard to run out of courses to take and I would generally have a selection of times to take specific courses. At the same time, large schools can be very impersonal and not focused on the student. UA seems much like a small school in that students can really personalize their education and interact with faculty and staff members. UA might have over 30,000 students, but one can easily make it feel like a 10,000 student or even smaller school if they so desire.</p>

<p>As you also mentioned, UA makes it very easy for top students to adapt to life at UA. Credit transfer is quick and straightforward, most forms can be filled out online, and there are now many airport shuttle times.</p>

<p>In terms of alcohol policies, UA realizes that some students will choose to drink and that some will do so before they are legally allowed to purchase or consume alcohol in the State of Alabama. Instead of trying to eliminate alcohol from campus and the surrounding area, UA chooses to provide more alcohol-free activities, provide free rides home at night so there is no reason to drive, and encourages moderation. Oddly enough, UA found that helping eliminate many of Alabama’s blue laws helped encourage more responsible drinking. </p>

<p>Our ds chose UA bc of the research opportunites. UA has 2 programs, CBH and Emerging Scholars, which both promote undergrad research. He is part of CBH and absolutely loves it. </p>

<p>FWIW, I respectfully disagree with the suggestion that scholarship $$ negates the value of co-oping. Co-oping’s value is in the work experience and understanding what it is like to work in various industries. </p>

<p>@Mom2aphysicsgeek‌ </p>

<p>I don’t disagree with the value of co-oping. It’s just that work experience can be had during a summer internship without delaying graduation. Co-oping isn’t always easy to fit it one’s schedule. </p>

<p>For our family, DS entered Fall 2013. We are from PA </p>

<ol>
<li><p>UAH scholarships had been drastically reduced that year. The reduction announcement came in December 2012, after acceptance. For me, this just left a bad taste to change during the application cycle after acceptances.</p></li>
<li><p>Dean Karr and Dean Sharpe met with our family one-on-one during a visit. Both are charismatic and really helped us feel welcome. </p></li>
<li><p>The new facilities and growing Engineering department.</p></li>
<li><p>The breadth of courses outside of Engineering DS could take due to offerings beyond a traditional engineering tech school and due to the size of UA.</p></li>
<li><p>The increase in industry in the South. We have seen many jobs leave our home area.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Yes, co-op and internerships were a Con for us, but the opportunity for research as a freshman countered that in our final decision.</p>