Why was I deferred from Early Decision Engineering?

<p>I was recently deferred from ED Engineering. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why, and my odds of getting accepted during RD for either Engineering or University Studies</p>

<p>Freshman year: Weighted gpa- 2.9 (explained in personal statement how illness/death of father impacted my attendance/performance)
English 9
Honors Biology
Honors Algebra 2
Honors World History 1
Photography
French 2
Gym</p>

<p>Sophomore year: Weighted gpa - 3.75
AP World History (4 on exam)
Precalc
English 10
Honors Chemistry
French 3
Sports Medicine
Gym</p>

<p>Junior year: Weighted gpa - 4.15
AP Calculus AB (5 on exam)
AP Psychology (5 on exam)
AP US History (3 on exam)
Honors Physics
STEM Engineering
French 4
English 11</p>

<p>Senior year: Weight gpa (after 1 quarter) - 4.05
AP Physics C
AP Calculus BC
AP Statistics
Honors Government
English 12
Advanced STEM Engineering
Econ and Personal Finance</p>

<p>Cumulative GPA:
Unweighted: 3.30
Weighted: 3.60</p>

<p>SAT (Superscore)
2020 Composite
800 Math
590 Critical Reading
630 Writing</p>

<p>ACT (Single test)
33 Composite
34 Math
31 English
35 Reading
33 Science</p>

<p>Awards:
AP Scholar with honor (I included my AP Scores when mentioning this in application)
Outstanding performance in the Fairfax/Virginia Math League
Academic letter for having a 3.8 weighted gpa or higher over the course of Junior year</p>

<p>Clubs/Activities:
2 year member of A/C/E Mentors (Architecture, Construction, Engineering club where students meet with architects/engineers and work with them on a nationwide competition)
Science National Honor Society
Member of Ultimate Frisbee team</p>

<p>Almost certainly you were deferred because of your GPA. First year your GPA is way too low. I know you have a reason but it’s possible that the reviewers didn’t fully take that into account. Year 2 - your weighted GPA is much better but it’s still on the low end for early admission Engineering students. Year 3 - you are now in the range needed for early admission but you only have one year track record at this level. Year 4 - maintain this GPA! I’d suggest talking to your HS counselor to determine whether there’s anything they can do to reiterate that your GPA is “low” due to special circumstances in year 1. Perhaps VT is just waiting to see your mid-term grades before they make their final decision. But I wouldn’t want to leave that up to chance. Good luck.</p>