Why was I waitlisted?

<p>Thanks Ween!</p>

<p>I highly doubt they turned you down for being over-qualified. I had a 4.42 GPA, 2180 SAT, great recs, leadership, awards, etc. and I got into biology and university honors just fine. I’d email admissions, and if you don’t get a response give them a call.</p>

<p>I just read in another thread that you’ve been admitted; congratulations!</p>

<p>This may not be your case but if you are too over-qualified, you might be put on a wait-list or get rejected. This is a case of my younger brother.
He had 3.9 UW GPA, 4.3 WGPA in Fairfax County Public High School and he had 7 AP credits, 800 SAT 2 score on math, physics, chemistry and biology, and had 2280 SAT reasoning test score.
He applied to George Mason Univ. and got REJECTED.
Of course, GMU was not his only option though; it was one of ‘safety’ schools.</p>

<p>However, here’s what’s happening I guess-
So many students apply to certain schools as ‘safety school’. They send applications just in case and never actually choose to attend the school.
I guess the admission office rejects or wait-lists applicants if they are too good. I might be having a total misunderstanding but that sorta makes sense to me because ‘safety’ applicants are actually taking chance away from normal applicants.</p>