Why You Shouldn't Study at Union

Apologies if this is a bit of a diatribe, but I feel the need to warn future students.

I started my college search process looking at schools way out of my league, including the ivies and Stanford, despite having “only” a 3.8 unweighted GPA and a 1510 SAT score (I thought these were good; as it turns out I was wrong). I made the foolish and arrogant decision to apply ED to Stanford, which obviously declined my application.

After this, I did some soul searching and put in applications to the University of Southern California (I would’ve hated it more than Union, I’m not sure what I was thinking), Tufts (I should have applied ED, I might have actually gotten into a good school if I had), and, stupidly, the ivies. I wasted so much time applying to so many schools that none of my applications were really any good, and so I was rejected from all of the above. Thankfully (or so I thought at the time), at the last minute, I had put in an application for Union, along with two other safeties, the University of Arizona and Oregon State. I got into all three with ease (as I said, safety schools), but I chose Union thinking it was a cut above the others.

I was wrong. Union is a beautiful school with a lavish campus (outside the freshman dorms, anyway), the best campus dining I’ve ever had (still not great but absolutely tolerable), and brilliant, hard-working, and kind professors. But I was not at all prepared for the absolutely insipid and vacuous student body.

At my high school, I felt I was above average, but not unusually intelligent or hard working. At Union, I am both, to an extent that I could never have predicted. My freshman preceptorial (seminar) class consisted of a wide swath of Union students assigned to learn about avant-garde art history. Admittedly, it wasn’t my first choice seminar topic, or even my fifth, (just as Union was third to the bottom of my college list), but I still worked hard, did all the reading, and carefully analyzed and contextualized the artistic movements the class covered. My classmates sat in class discussions looking at their laptops and pretending they’d even opened the PDFs we were supposed to have read. One interrupted conversations about classic movies and books to talk about how they reminded him of video games or Rick and Morty.

This isn’t a unique experience at Union; approximately half (maybe even two thirds) of the students here are profoundly anti-intellectual. Going to a small, high-ranking liberal arts college, I expected to be surrounded by people with an interest in the world, with goals and ambitions aside from just getting rich (or, as is mostly the case here, richer). Instead, I found myself living amongst a group of students with less motivation for school than the average community college, who live to get drunk and/or high, and whose greatest aim in life is to graduate so they can go to work at a cushy job at one of their wealthy relatives’ companies. (And I make these criticisms as an occasional drug and alcohol user; the difference I perceive is that other students seem to have no sense of moderation, and no interests outside substance use).

In a word, I am disgusted. Despite the school administrations’ intentions to make Union a top school, despite the massive amounts of money poured into securing stellar faculty, and despite Union’s numerous attempts to establish student activities outside of getting blackout at a fraternity and waking up next to a regretted hookup, the student body remains one of the least-engaged I’ve ever seen.

If you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc, you should not go to Union. Not because the campus isn’t inclusive, but because the student body is stuck in the 90s as far as their perception of LGBT people. I regularly hear students call each other “faggots,” refer to things as “gay,” and make fun of gay students for expressing their sexuality. Certainly, there are plenty of very accepting people at Union, probably even the majority. But the minority is vocal enough that it feels socially dangerous to be visibly or vocally queer on campus.

If you’re black, latinx, really anything but white or asian, I would not recommend Union. Despite the administrations’ attempts to create “diversity,” the campus is anything but. One of my roommates this year is mixed race, and I’ve had a number of conversations with him about how hard it is to not be white on this campus. Socially, the school is quite segregated (this is true in all respects), and the fraternities and sororities who dominate the social scene are unwelcoming, although not outright racist, towards non-white students.

You should also not go to Union if you don’t plan to be in a frat/sorority. And if you do plan in being in one (besides AD or DKE), you had better be an alpha male who loves sports and shows no weakness, or a sexy, slutty female who loves nothing more than submitting yourself to bad sex with men who don’t respect you. The greek system here is a hilarious display of backwards gender roles, and, despite the administrations’ best efforts (a common refrain), is thriving.

You should not come to Union if you are politically engaged and care about making a difference in the world. Students here are only interested in virtue signaling and giving poor people their dirty, old used shoes and socks. The greek organizations make a big fuss a few times a year about philanthropy, in which they raise a few thousand dollars, pat themselves on the back, and call it a day. The students here are either wealthy or pretend to be, and none of them can see beyond their own self interest enough to advocate for any kind of significant change; instead, they prefer virtue signaling without taking any real action.

Finally, speaking of wealth, you shouldn’t come here if you’re middle class or lower. My family of four makes less than six figures a year, putting us well below the average here at Union. I’m so used to modest living that I had no idea the shock I was in for. Students here pay thousands of dollars a year for the convenience of not having to do their own laundry; they take Ubers all the way to NYC instead of taking a train or bus; they own so much designer clothing that it spills out of their closets and drawers. Quite frankly, the conspicuous consumerism embraced here is perhaps the thing I most despise. Worse than the wealthy students, however, are the upper middle class students who spend all their money (literally all, some of my friends had already spent $3000 on incidental expenses by winter term) on things they don’t need just to pretend to be wealthy. Maybe it has to do with my being from the West coast, but I find this behavior appalling.

So, there you have it. If you’re a wealthy, attractive, confident, white person with an overinflated ego and a penchant for alcohol, you’ll love Union. Otherwise, I would advise against coming to this train-wreck of an institution. Maybe if the admin gets their act together and recruits more students who actually care about people other than themselves, Union will get better, but as it stands right now, it’s a third rate institution and you’d be better off spending less money at a state school.

1 Like

LACs can be tough socially. Consider attending a large university. You learned the hard way–through experience. Appreciate that experience for what you learned about yourself.

1 Like

With a 1510 SAT & an unweighted 3.8 GPA, the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor should have been on your list of schools.

As for LACs, Amherst College & Williams College or any consortium school (Swarthmore & Haverford; Pomona, Claremont McKenna) would have been better choices for you.

If you are open to a moderate/conservative environment, Davidson College in North Carolina is worth an application.

I don’t think you can paint all LACs with that brush, @Publisher. Union does have a reputation for particularly heavy alcohol use. I suspect the OP could have had a better social and intellectual experience if they had picked a different LAC. I’m not sure CMC or Davidson would have been to their taste, either, but there are a lot of LACs at various levels of selectivity that could have been better choices.

Find your peeps. There HAVE to be others like you. Find them.

1 Like

The brush is that smaller communities tend to have a more distinctive campus culture. You can make a large school small, but you cannot make a small school large. The exception being consortium members or an urban location.

CMC is in a consortium & has much brighter, more involved students–as does Davidson College.

1 Like

I chose Union because I was excited about the intersection of liberal arts and electrical engineering (my degree). I still am, and the faculty here have done a good job helping me explore this. Other LACs don’t have engineering, so if I transfer it will probably be to a university.

Bucknell & Lafayette & Harvey Mudd come to mind, but I think that you will be happier in a larger, more diverse environment.

1 Like

@akhipstertrash , I know a few kids at Union who, like you, love the academic experience. They are not part of the party scene and are happy. You need to find those people. They may not be the majority, but they are there!

Bucknell is probably even worse, Lafayette similar. If you are interested in transferring, you know what to look for…

2 Likes

My notation of Bucknell, Lafayette & Harvey Mudd was simply in response to OP’s statement that “other LACs don’t have engineering…”.

^^Yes, you are right, there are several.

By general impression, your original post conveys much of the same perspectives as those of a former Dartmouth College student as written in Rolling Stone. In both cases, you each seem to have sought the identification of a central culture through which your experiences reflect and enlace. However, through independent thought and action, you could choose to make Union your college in a form that contrasts to how you currently see it as belonging to those with values different from your own.

1 Like

I don’t buy that. A small, alcohol soaked bro-dominated campus is just that.

1 Like

Yeah merc81 that sounds like nonsense–I have my friends here and I know other people that aren’t as fratty (many of whom are intensely nerdy, so harder to get to know). There’s still no escaping the vomit, noise, and cliquey social atmosphere created by greek life.

This is disheartening to hear. It sounds as if you are saying the Minerva system has not made enough of a difference. I also wondered if you were in the Scholars Program, and if this group helped students like you find a like-minded set of people and also activities.

1 Like

@GingerLand Union likes to talk up the Minerva program but the reality is that it has failed to accomplish its goals in any significant capacity. It has mostly turned into a way for clubs to get funding (since Union underfunds them but spends lavishly on the Minervas, the clubs come begging on a regular basis). Many students also use it as a way to get free food, which isn’t a bad thing per se, but not really the purpose of the program. Sports teams and future fraternity members will often try to live together on one floor of a Minerva as well (the recently disbanded tri-delt sorority attempted this, but got caught), essentially turning what was meant to be an alternative to the greek system into a microcosm of it with the same bad behavior and general disrespect for shared spaces (the dorm bathrooms are often dirtier than what you might expect in a third-world country). I will say that the dinners with professors that Minervas sometimes host are generally very interesting and informative, but they don’t happen as frequently as at other LACs and are only really hosted by the Political Science professors (who are great, but shouldn’t be the only ones getting involved).

Regardless, the school has recognized the failure of the Minervas and is actually in the process of replacing the current program director with four part-time directors who already have other jobs at the school, which seems to me to be a death knell for the program. I am not in Scholars, but from what I’ve seen of the program, most of the students in it are nerdy in a decidedly antisocial way. I’ve found other likeminded people elsewhere, especially in the environmental and activist groups, but still wish Union had been more honest about the apathy of the general student body, as I would not have come here. This school has the potential to be great, but until they recruit better students and start cracking down on greek life, nothing is going to change.

I’ve been reading this thread with interest. We recently toured Union and my daughter liked it. However, we didn’t really get a feel for the party/frat atmosphere. My D is more on the nerdy side – likes D&D. does a lot of theater, into science and philosophy. Do you think she would be able to find her people there?

1 Like

I am also looking for colleges with D&D! (I think Beloit has a sci-fi dorm and social program, @gallentjill. It’s called BSFFA I think.)

1 Like

It’s unfair to portray any college based only on one side presented. While it’s true a number of colleges still have cultural issues due to Greek life or other habits, there are also kids not focused in those directions, heads down, doing their work, in clubs or doing research and internships, hanging with the friends they like. It’s important to find match in many ways.

It’s been very popular, at points on CC, over the years, to diss wealthy kids on any campus. Truth is, not all rich kids are obnoxious, not all spend freely, dress to the nines or run off to the closest major metro area.

My kids went to the same LAC (not Union) and I could bowl you over with famous names there, stories of family wealth. But these were normal kids, my kids’ friends, doing the schoolwork, growing. Sure, one visit, I had to step past the dorm trash and bottles, after a raucous weekend. But that’s not the only thing going on.

My kids, btw, had two completely different experiences at the same college. And their years overlapped.

At one point, Hamilton had notable issues with Greek life. Bad enough to revamp, try new controls, several times, and more. But also notable that every single kid Ipersonally know who went there was quite happy.

YMMV. It’s so often YMMV.

@gallentjill I think your daughter might actually fit in better than me. I’m not actually that nerdy; I’ve never played D&D, haven’t played video games since I was a young child, and most of my media consumption is more in the vein of political discourse than popular or nerdy culture. Most of the more serious students here fall into the more nerdy category, and I know of at least two groups (one of which is mostly composed of girls, as a matter of fact) that regularly have a great time playing D&D. These sorts of activities are actually fairly present, and if your daughter visits Union and decides to go, she may very well like it, especially if she lives in Webster (the substance-free dorm). That said, for students like me who are more interested in politics and activism, Union is not as good a fit.

This thread is becoming more contentious than I expected; I’m not trying to start drama, and I will likely return to Union since I do have some good friends here and have had a positive academic experience. Still, I feel the college has not done enough to improve the quality of students they recruit and reduce the unpleasant behaviors exhibited by the students who are already here. If Union is happy that their average student is a semi-functional alcoholic with no regard for others, then they should at least acknowledge this and admit that greek life essentially dominates the campus instead of pretending otherwise to potential students.

3 Likes