WiFi policy in dorms?

<p>I was revising my housing preferences yesterday and realized that one of my preferences didn't have WiFi available in the hall. For a university so centered around engineering this is ridiculous, I realize these programs take time to execute but its 2012 for crying out loud, I've had wifi in my home for almost 10 years now. I was reading the FAQs and it says that personal WiFi routers are prohibited but I'm not sure when they were updated last. I'm wondering, will I be able to bring my own wireless router and set it up for me and possibly my roommate? If so this is a somewhat nonissue. My problem is that I have many devices that need wifi that can't connect to ethernet and I'm not going to go down to the lobby or wherever just to use them. What do people normally do in dorms without WiFi? If I get put in one without it, this will be a huge issue for me.</p>

<p>Relax, while prohibited, everyone sets up their WiFi and then makes it “invisible”. Put router behind something. RA’s check for obvious WiFi routers.</p>

<p>Sent from my Eris using CC</p>

<p>Some housing areas simply don’t support wifi because of the thickness of the walls, keep in mind that at least 5 dorms were made in the first half of the 20th century. Technically routers are prohibited, as they would bog down the internet because of the way they work but its like refrigerators that are bigger than 4.2 cub; I haven’t seen an RA really care too much as long as you don’t embolden it or make a big fuss of it</p>