Wilkes Honors College at FAU

My son is currently a HS Senior and is considering the Wilkes Honors College at FAU for Neuroscience and from there go into medicine. He’s not a NMS but has good grades with a lot of AP classes but the information that we are finding on the school seems to be both extreme ends of the spectrum. People either totally love it or hate it. Some of the comments seem off the wall too. The school hypes their links with Max Planck, Scripps and the Brain Institute but now we hear that UF has bought out Scripps? Does that mean that WHC loses the link? A separate graduation from FAU too with very few people in attendance? I just don’t know what to think about this school. Information on it is so limited on the internet as well except for FAU’s websites. Looking for some help from current or former students and not some PR from school administrators or staff people selling the school.

Can you ask to talk to a student ambassador?

It looks awesome on paper but it’s super small and likely not a regular, complete college campus.

There’s likely limited class offerings, etc.

But i’m sure they can connect you with a student or perhaps you can find one on linkedin - and send them a note and ask if you can learn about their experience.

Obviously, a visit would be the best thing you can do if possible.

Good luck.

FAU | Wilkes Honors College - Visit Us

Not a traditional college experience. Need a car. Need to visit. However, pathway to med school is great. Med school is newer but has a strong emphasis on students’ wellbeing and gives out good $.

1 Like

We plan to visit in March and my son will be taking his car. We also have family nearby. My concern is whether it is worth attending and what the transferability of skills to a good grad or med school be.

Are you associated with the school or have attended?

No. Hence I suggest visiting and / or talking to a student advisor.

It’s its own school though so doesn’t appear u go back and forth to boca.

What you are going to learn over the next 4 years if that making it to ANY MD school in the U.S. is an uphill battle. And you will also find that admittance to any D.O. school would also be a major accomplishment. So, don’t get caught up into whether your kid can make it to a “T20” school (“good med school”). You want to find a place where your kid is happy and can perform well. There are a bunch of undergrad kids at FAU that get their hand held and make it into the FAU med school. You just need to visit and see if FAU has vibe that your kid would do well in.

1 Like