Will $1,000/year be enough for personal expenses?

<p>I'm starting as a freshman at TAMU this coming fall and will be with the Corps of Cadets. I do not live in Texas. My parents have covered my tuition, books, room and board, meal plan, etc., but I have saved about $4,000 of my own money for personal expenses. Will roughly $1,000 per year be enough for my own expenditures? My parents will most likely cover my airfare home. </p>

<p>I will not have a car, so I figure that will save a lot of money. I just can't really think of anything major that would come up that would require a ton of money that wouldn't be covered in my tuition. </p>

<p>Feel free to post advice or anything about your own college experience and how much personal savings you needed to get by.</p>

<p>say 3.5 months each semester - that gives you about $143.00 a months to spend, or about $31 a week. Do you think you can get along on that? occasional weekend meals out when you are tired of eating on campus. Movies? What do you spend now on the weekend activities - or what do you like to do?</p>

<p>That’s the thing – I won’t have time to do most of my weekend activities that I do now. I would say the majority of my time will be spend either studying or doing things with the Corps. So figure the only thing I spend money on is food. $143/month on food ASIDE from my meals that are already covered. This sounds reasonable, no?</p>

<p>oh… I forgot the aspect of your being in the corps. Your freshman year you will not have time to spend money! You might even have money to rollover for your soph-jr-sr year!
I’m not real sure about the corps trips for football games. You may have some expenses there. My husband was a corps member. No time for a social life that fish year! I think you will be fine, especially that first year.</p>

<p>Oh ok, that’s great news then. Yeah, I’m not sure what they’re going to do about the out-of-town football games since they switched conferences. I am sure they will still travel, although it may be more money for cadets that want to go. I have to eat breakfast and dinner with the Corps M-F basically, but my weekends are free. So I’m basically figuring my money will be spent on weekends for food. In any case, would you say that the $4,000 should be enough, or should I keep saving?</p>

<p>by all means keep saving. But I think if you are conservative you will be fine. Where are you from?</p>