Will Cal State/UCs ever go back to requiring SAT/ACT?

I haven’t spent a ton of time researching CA’s decision to eliminate standardized testing for the UC and Cal State schools, so apologies if this is obvious. I have a S25 who is an amazing test taker and has stated possible interest in CalPoly. I’m just wondering if test scores could potentially be considered during his admission cycle.

The Cal states usually follow the UC’s lead, so anything is possible but not probable. Since they have only been test blind for a few years, more data is probably needed to determine if being Test blind has significantly impacted the student admission population and if their mission below has been realized or not.

The CSU chancellor has stated “In essence we are eliminating our reliance on high stress, high stakes tests that has shown negligible benefit and providing our applicants with greater opportunities to demonstrate drive, talents and potential for college success”.

1 Like

Not gonna happen.

Note that back when UCs and CSUs did require the SAT or ACT, they gave the tests less relative weight (compared to HS record) than probably most other colleges that required the SAT or ACT.

It is also unlikely that they will go SAT/ACT optional. At the beginning of COVID-19-related SAT and ACT cancellations, UC gave its campuses the option to be SAT/ACT optional or blind. Some campuses chose optional, but a lawsuit was filed against UC arguing that SAT/ACT optional was unfair. The plaintiffs won, so all UC campuses went SAT/ACT blind. CSUs use a formulaic admission process that would be difficult to handle some applicants with SAT or ACT and others without (or, if they did do such a thing, it would be game-able by those who had the opportunity to take the SAT or ACT and calculate which version of the formula was better, again bringing up fairness questions).

Interesting. Not great for my kiddo but I guess it works for their school system. And I know about admitting less OOS kids too. Might not be a great option after all.

@COMom3 For Fall 2021, Cal Poly SLO indicates that Colorado is the 2nd highest OOS (Washington 1st) that enroll per the Geographic tab for First Time Freshman (FTF) https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/institutional.research8860/viz/CalPolyAdmissionsDashboards/AppliedSelectedEnrolled_SelectionYieldRates

I believe these tables are updated by mid May annually.

Tangential to your specific question re: SAT/ACT - While CSUs and UCs will remain test-blind and not use SAT/ACT for admission consideration for your S25, anecdotally on College Confidential there was mention of Cal Poly SLO recognizing some PSAT-related awards as national awards per "Nationally Recognized Scholar"? - #2 by martinezcs and this question appears to be new.

I asked the Admissions Officer during Cal Poly tour earlier this week if AP exam scores are reviewed for admission selection and he said not the scores, but the courses presumably via the weighted GPA. @Gumbymom has indicated that the UCs look at AP scores as well as the courses in their holistic review.

1 Like