Will I advance to Finalist from NMSF?

I am a national merit semifinalist. I have a 3.95w GPA and 3.75 uw. I am concerned because my first semester sophomore year (during covid) I had straight B’s on my report card, and a 3.06 gpa that semester. No C’s at all (any year). I have performed very well academically otherwise, getting nearly straight A’s every other semester. However, I am worried about being cited for not having “consistently high academic performance” which is a requirement for advancing to finalist. I have a 32 ACT and good essay/extracirriculars. Anyone else have a similar story or advice?

1 Like

Well, you can’t change what has already occurred, so that is out of your control. Please don’t stress about it. Understand that most students took a hit with their grades during Covid and you will probably be in good company. The folks at NMSC will be aware of it too. The fact that you are a semifinalist is a good sign so try to relax.

95% of semifinalists advance. While nothing is absolute, getting Bs during Covid with no Cs, and then doing well again after, would not seem to disqualify you with a good ACT score and as long as you follow the required steps. Good luck!

What are you hoping for - a great NMF deal?

Already here’s a great program for you, should you get admitted, at a great school.

National Merit Semifinalist Package - The University of Tulsa (utulsa.edu)

1 Like

Do you have an update? Hoping you made it!