Will I Fit In?

<p>Hi, Im currently going into my senior year and am applying soon to schools. During my search, I fell in love with Bama (how can’t you?). Im from the Greater NYC area and I think I have the grades and scores to get in. People keep telling me that I won’t fit in because of where I am from and that I would have trouble getting into a frat. Does anyone agree with that? would I really not “fit in” because of where I’m from? Also would I have trouble getting a job in NYC after college with a degree from Alabama? Do people typically stay down there? Any advice and commentes would be very appreciated! :smiley: </p>

<p>Once upon a time, Bama was a state school, and its students came from Alabama and, for the most part, stayed in Alabama after they graduated. That’s just no longer the case. Last year’s freshman class was 60% out of state students. And many of those out of state students return to their home states after they graduate, or go elsewhere. The Honors College is working very hard to expand its network so that graduates will be able to go anywhere after they graduate!</p>

<p>As for frats, there are still a few “old row” frats that draw their members primarily from Alabama. But they’re the minority. There are plenty of other frats that gladly welcome new members from all over the country. Take a [url=&lt;a href=“http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/currentmembers.cfm]look[/url”&gt;http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/currentmembers.cfm]look[/url</a>] yourself.</p>

<p>Check the map out to see where the most recent class came from: <a href=“60 percent of freshmen out-of-state - The Crimson White”>A balanced approach to immigration reform - The Crimson White. Plenty of students from the northeast and the Midwest.</p>

<p><<<
People keep telling me that I won’t fit in because of where I am from
,<<<<</p>

<p>I would bet that these folks have either never been to Tuscaloosa or havent been in decades.</p>

<p>We were at Bama Bound last week. We met people from all over - from New Jersey to California. University of Alabama is about as diverse as they come. Take a trip and visit the campus. You won’t be disappointed!</p>

<p>There are similar threads and loads of responses from previous students - use the search button and type in ‘fit in’: <a href=“Search results for '' - College Confidential Forums”>Search results for '' - College Confidential Forums; </p>