Will I get in? Where?

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>I am a high school junior looking to major in nursing in college! I started the college search process in January, and am really excited! I know nursing is really really competitive, and I'm obviously not looking for any really difficult or prestigious programs. I've heard that once you get your degree (and assuming you're well educated), which school you graduate from doesn't matter as much to a nurse as it does to a lawyer, for example. But I would really like some help determining where I fall on the scale in comparison to other applicants. Do you think I can get into a nursing program? Where would you recommend I apply? I would love to stay in the New England area, to be honest, but I will move anywhere in the US (if it's a reputable program, obviously). Here are my stats!</p>

<p>GPA: 3.7 (unweighted)
SAT: 690 Reading 650 Math 620 Writing 1960 overall score
Activities: Tutoring as a job three times a week independant of school. I also mentor students for one class period a day in school in math (I'm a teaching assistant there, and I also help teach the kids with minor mental disorders or troubled backgrounds). I am also an active member of the ambassador program at my school, which helps transition students from middle to high school (in addition to new students).
Background: White, female. My sister has a chronic disease that she was born with, and my mother deals with severe mental issues. I was hoping to write a strong essay tying this into why I have always loved caring for others.</p>

<p>I'm in the middle level in every class. My school is one of the top in the state, so it's really difficult even at this level. It's harder than most honors classes at other public schools. But I've been told schools with account for that.</p>

<p>What do you think? Can I get in somewhere? Where should I apply?</p>

<p>Thanks so much! </p>

<p>You have the scores and grades to get into many programs. To cover yourself, apply to many colleges. That is not only important to guarantee some choices, but also to be able to compare merit and need-based aid. Apply as early as possible - many programs fill up before November and December. </p>

<p>Your SAT scores are very good, but I would also try the ACT. If students are better at science than math, they often score higher on the ACT than the SAT. A high score is not only important for admission, but also to earn merit aid.</p>

<p>I would also suggest doing some volunteer or paid work in a health care setting, in addition to your current volunteer work. That is not only valuable for your application, but also helps you be sure that nursing is right for you.</p>

<p>Other people on this board can tell you about New England programs - you may specifically wish to make a post asking about people’s experience with New England programs to attract their attention.</p>

<p>There are a number of excellent 4 year Direct Entry BSN Programs in New England including Univ. of Maine, University of New Hampshire, UConn, Simmons College, Saint Anselm, Boston College, Northeastern, UMass-Amherst, and Univ. of Vermont, among others (Please see the Master List of Direct Entry Nursing Programs on this Board for a more comprehensive listing). With the stats you presented IMHO you should have a decent chance of entry into many, if not most, of the Programs I Listed. Your odds would probably be good at the Flagship State University of your State of residence. Good luck. </p>

<p>Some state flagship university campuses are very difficult for admission for nursing. Some may save most of their seats for in-state students. Therefore, I’d also add a couple branch campuses or lesser known in-state public universities as both financial and admissions safeties. It is worth the application fee to make 100% sure you will have a seat somewhere. </p>

<p>Also, check out whether your state will offer you more grants if you go to an in-state college instead of an out of state college. That is the case for many states.</p>

<p>Out of the list Mw provided, I’d guess that Boston College would be a reach. From what has been posted on this board, Northeastern seems to also have become increasingly competitive. You may also enjoy much lower costs for everything if you pick a college that is not in Boston or its immediate suburbs. You can use the money you save to have a great time when you visit Boston.</p>

<p>Thanks so much!!! Yeah I have asked around about internships. I succeeded in getting one with a local doctor but I never heard back from him so I have to follow up :confused: (he said yes, and that a nurse would contact me, but she never did). My top choice is Simmons. Hopefully I will have a chance there!! I am also looking at Quinnipiac, UMASS… etc :slight_smile: Thanks so much for your help! </p>

<p>My daughter wanted to do volunteer work for a local hospital before applying for nursing school. She contacted the two huge hospital complexes and they said they didn’t have any more room for student volunteers for the summer. She then contacted the smaller urban hospital and they welcomed her with open arms, and she had a great experience.</p>

<p>Also, applicants should keep in mind that some private colleges come out to be equal in price to public colleges if you are eligible for substantial merit-based or need-based aid. Some private colleges emphasize merit aid, while others emphasize need-based aid, and others provide a mix. Run the online cost calculator for each to get a sense of probable costs, and read their standards for merit aid.</p>

<p>Also keep in mind that most public universities (with some exceptions) do not provide much need-based aid to most out of state students.</p>