Will I get in?

<p>Hey Everybody ! I recently applied to UA for Fall 2013. I’m a bit nervous though. My GPA is currently at 2.88. I took my ACT already . I got a 24 w/o writing and a 23 with writing. I also got a 4 on my AP test and did really well on my PSAT. I made a packet in which I put my official transcript, my schedule for senior year, a personal essay, my AP test and PSAT scores and sent it off last Thursday (07/12/12). Can you guys tell me my chances of being accepted.</p>

<p>Since you’re applying very early in the app cycle, you’ll likely be accepted.</p>

<p>Okay thanks. I’m really nervous because this is my number one school. Is there anything else I can do ?</p>

<p>Not really. Relax. </p>

<p>You’re not going to get rejected. If Bama thinks that your stats aren’t high enoough, then Bama will ask you to retest and/or submit you grades from Fall semester. </p>

<p>If you want to practice for the Oct SAT with hopes of bringing in a better SAT score, then do so. But, you will likely already be accepted by then. :)</p>

<p>Okay. That’s a huge relief , thank you !! :)</p>

<p>Are there certain stats(GPA and SAT scores)that the school goes by for acceptance? Trying to get a better idea what my sons chances are. I keep telling him no matter what that things will be OK.</p>

<p>Not exactly . They say on the application that a student with a 3.0 and a 21 ACT should be successful at the university so I guess that’s the standard. What are your son’s stats ?</p>

<p>GPA is a 3.3 and SAT 1210. He has all college prep/ honor classes and his senior year will be taking 5 college classes. We are OOS, so that makes me worried. UA is my sons #1 choice. I wish that they looked at extra things.</p>

<p>Are there certain stats(GPA and SAT scores)that the school goes by for acceptance? Trying to get a better idea what my sons chances are. I keep telling him no matter what that things will be OK.</p>

<p>There isn’t a set formula. however, Bama is more lenient at the beginning of the app season, so apply now. As mentioned above, if the stats are too low, then Bama will expect the student to retest and/or submit senior grades. Sometimes a writing sample is requested.</p>

<p>Lafarge, if the 1210 SAT is the CR+M score he will get in 100%, don’t worry. If it’s not then he still has a pretty good chance because of his GPA.</p>

<p>WOW…yay for UA! I don’t know of too many large state schools myself - perhaps there are - that don’t reject students off the bat, but instead offer suggestions for those students to better their scores and increase their chances of admittance. (Yet) Another reason to love UA!</p>

<p>Yes it is just writing and math. He was 1710 with writing. UA is such an AMAZING school! It wasn’t even being considered until we went to a college fair in Syracuse. The gentleman we spoke to was incredible and I just can’t say enough positive things about him. We then went down to UA in April for a few days to get the feel. Again, the gentleman that we met at the college fair set up 2 days worth of things for us. What an asset he is to the University! We new very quickly that this would be his first choice. It just seemed to be the perfect fit for him.</p>

<p>Lafarge…</p>

<p>Tell your son to submit his app now…send scores and transcripts. He’ll get his acceptance by mid-August the latest, and then you will all have a relaxing senior year knowing that he has at least one acceptance in hand. :)</p>

<p>He has actually everything in already. Scores were sent in May, his transcripts mailed out July 2nd and posted on Mybama on the 12th, and his application was submitted on the 6th. We can see on Mybama that they have everything in their hands. Everything has been moving so quickly an I can’t get over just how easy this has been up to this point. We live up north and when people ask my son where he hopes to go he tells them UA. They look at him like he’s crazy until he explains why. Then they seem to get it. I can’t say enough great things of our experience so far!!!</p>

<p>I forgot to mention CollegeMom that my son was joking the other day about how he has 5 college courses and 2 honors classes his senior year and that he thought it was suppose to be an EASY year. I’m guessing not so much Lol!</p>

<p>Lafarge,</p>

<p>have your son retest. if he raises his SAT a bit, he’ll get into the Honors College.</p>

<p>Incoming or prospective students may apply to Honors College after they have been admitted to The University of Alabama. Admission to the Honors College requires a 28 ACT or 1250 SAT and a 3.3 GPA. You will be notified of your acceptance via email. (If your test scores are below the Honors College requirement, you can be admitted later after you have successfully achieved a 3.3 in your college coursework.)</p>

<p>Thanks for the info Mom2! You are amazing with the knowledge that you hold with this school!!! We had already told him he needed to retake them this fall. He has only taken them once. I’m not really sure how easy it is to bump up the score by 40 points. Do you know if UA takes the highest score for each section or is it just whatever the total score is for that test?</p>

<p>Dd studied and did practice essays and raised hers over 200 points with a moderate amount of study time. Look at where he dropped points the first time and concentrate.</p>

<p>Wow! I really thought that 40 points would be pushing it! Thanks for letting me know that with some extra practice, he has a shot.</p>

<p>I retook the SAT without studying much late in my senior year (in case currently enrolled student scholarships consider SAT and for use in competitive programs at Bama, eg. emerging scholars) and raised my score from a 1940 to a 2200 (or 1310 to 1450). A forty point jump is extremely possible, almost likely in that he has taken it once and has a better idea of test day.</p>