Will I get into University of Miami?

<p>I am a senior in highschool and my first choice is University of Miami. My SAT scores are 570 on reading, 700 on math, and 620 on writing. My ACT composite score is 27. My unweighted GPA is 3.1 and my weighted is a 5.1 on a 4.0 scale. I have taken 10 AP classes and Honors everything else. My class rank is 210/599. I have 40 community service hours at the moment but I am currently working on getting about 100-150 and I have had a job for 3 years while in highschool. I am also on board of two clubs at my school. Will I get into the university?</p>

<p>Unfortunately, despite your 700 in math, I fear you mayl not get in. I say this because you have a number of deficiencies:</p>

<p>Your class rank is rather low. Not even close to the top 10%.</p>

<p>Your CR SAT score is rather low.</p>

<p>Your unweighted gpa is rather low.</p>

<p>Your ACT is also slightly low.</p>

<p>I would say that FSU is a more realistic bet.</p>

<p>I would take the SAT again, and try and raise the CR to a 600. </p>

<p>Miami is moving up in the rankings lately. It is becoming more difficult to get into.</p>

<p>If I were the admissions offices, I personally would want to see how you did on your AP tests. If you passed them, then this would show that your gpa is probably low because you go to a good high school with no grade inflation.</p>

<p>I know my class rank is rather low and I have passed one of my AP exams but I still have 3 more to take this year. I go to a very competitive high school where many of the kids ahead of me have not taken nearly the classes I have. So despite my lower GPA my schedule is much more rigorous including AP Calculus, Physics and many other very difficult courses. I’m not trying to defend myself because I really appreciate your honest feedback.</p>

<p>To get a better picture, what AP test did you pass? What is your senior year schedule?</p>

<p>I passed AP World History. My schedule this year is art, AP literature, AP psychology, study hall, avid honors, marine science honors, AP statistics.</p>

<p>I think it is wonderful that you are challenging yourself by taking the difficult courses. With UM moving up in the rankings and more and more students applying who have very high class ranks and scores, UM can be pickier about where they draw the lines for admission and scholarships. With 25,000+ applications to process I imagine they have to whittle that down using some criteria to a more manageable number, before they start looking into details.</p>

<p>At this point you probably can’t do much about your class rank. But you can improve your SAT and ACT scores by studying harder (use your study hall), taking more practice exams and retaking the tests. </p>

<p>I think applying EA improves your odds of being accepted (or at least finding out sooner if you are waitlisted or not accpeted). I also believe that showing interest in the university by visiting at least once and ensuring that both admissions and the school you hope to major in are aware you are on campus carries some weight in the acceptance process.</p>

<p>So much depends on the resumes of the other thousands of students who also want to attend UM next fall. You can’t control that either. So focus on what you can control (SAT, ACT, AP scores). I wish you all the best in your bid to attend UM.
~Zinc</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the great ideas, I am visiting the campus in November so I will make sure that the admission officers along with the school of business know I am there. I am going to take the ACT again but my scores won’t be here in time for Early Action so hopefully I get in, this is my first and only choice (I still applied to many other schools) so I wanted to do everything I could do to get in. I am in the top 35% if my class which is not always what Miami wants but I hope they will see that my high school is crazy competitive and although I am not the top 10 or 25 percent, I have taken much more difficult courses than the students ranked above me. I’ve talked to Miami representatives and they said they would prefer A’s and B’s in AP classes rather than straight A’s in Honors/Regular courses. I hope everything goes well, I have very good recommendations from my teacher and another source. Thank you again!</p>

<p>Original Poster—
Question-
YOU SAID—
“My unweighted GPA is 3.1 and my weighted is a 5.1 on a 4.0 scale”
PLEASE EXPALIN THIS TO ME ?
Mathematically Impossible
Thanks</p>

<p>There is no maximum weighted scale at my school, a student receives extra points when they take honors and AP courses. So students can have up to 6.5s and 7.0s it all depends on how many advanced courses taken</p>

<p>Hey, I really want to get into UM as well… If I don’t, I swear I will cry. But I’m a junior, I gradute the spring of 2013. I take ACT next week and SAT next month. I plan on retaking both tests this summer regardless of what scores I get. In middle school, I was a pre-IB student, and now I’m a Health and Wellness magnet student. My class ranking is 28 of 391, my cumulative GPA is 3.122, my academic core is 3.4821, and my weighted cumulative GPA is 3.9429 of 4.0. I’m currently taking 2 AP classes; next year I’m taking 3. I want to major in Health Science to become a primary care physician. I will be graduating high school with (of coarse) a high school diploma, a Health and Wellness diploma, and I will be a certified assistant nurse. I have 40 hours of community service… So far, do you think I’ll get into UM? When should I apply?</p>

<p>

Early action, I’d recommend.</p>

<p>go for early action.</p>

<p>Early Action, but I would get ACT to a 29/30 if you want a shot. Your GPA/Class Rank will kill you unless your school is ultra-competitive.</p>

<p>I am a junior in high school…
Unweighted GPA: 3.71
Weighted GPA: 4.8
Have taken all honors throughout high school plus this AP courses:
AP Human Geography
AP Spanish Lang
AP Psychology
Senior year I will take:
AP English Lit
Ap Spanish Lit</p>

<p>Currently attending FIU for summer dual enrollment
First time Sat scores (all added): 1470
ACT: 21 :frowning:
Planning on studying and doing them again.</p>

<p>Clubs
National Honor Society
Spanish Honor Society - vice president
Math Honor society</p>

<p>Community hrs: over 100</p>

<p>When you say SAT of 1470, is that all 3 combined, or just Math and Reading? Miami only looks at the Math and Reading scores.</p>

<p>Minimum ACT for UMiami is 27 ( minimum they accepted last year except you if are an athlete or an A student and maybe do not test well). If you are bellow an A-,B+ try to get to a 30-31. My niece did get into Spring with a 26 but she had a good GPA and she was from a very known HS here in Miami. My son got in with a 32. My daughter got a 28 in June and I am advising her the same thing. Good luck.</p>

<p>If that SAT is the reading/math/writing then it is way too low, Valeria. The ACT is way too low, as well. Your GPA is great. One of the admissions officers came to my daughter’s private HS here in Ft. Lauderdale and conducted a workshop with mock applications. They will look at your extracurriculars, but those test scores will rule you out before they even get to that point. Your high school’s weighted GPA will not be recalculated, they will take it the way it is- but you must work on your test scores.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>I have a 1990 SAT (670M, 670CR, 650W), a 3.5-3.75 uw gpa (I’ve taken multiple APs and challenging math & science, but not sure on exact gpa. Will have 8 APs upon graduation), multiple sports, a youth summer league coaching position, and a 2 year congressional internship (it’s all summer long, 8hrs a day) at the US Senate.</p>

<p>What are my chances for acceptance and decent financial aid? Intended college is the college of Business Administration.</p>

<p>Also, that is my first SAT attempt. I have got a 700 on both CR and M on seperate practices, so that is my goal. Does Miami consider subject tests? I have to take them for GTown.</p>

<p>I think you have a good chance of getting in. You are borderline as far as scholarships go though so if you improve you SAT you might get one. Yes they will look at your subject tests if you send them.</p>