Will I get into Virginia Tech Engineering OR University Studies with these stats?

Hello! I’ve come across College Confidential recently and I’d very much appreciate it if, given these statistics, can be accepted into Virginia Tech’s College of Engineering OR University Studies for the 2017-18 year. Also, would it be better for me to apply ED vs RD? Would these be enough for George Mason’s school of engineering? (as a safety). Lastly, what schools would you recommend I apply to for engineering if it is viable to do so?

I’m currently a senior in high school from the Northern Virginia area, if that helps.
GPA: 3.82 (Weighted)

(HN meaning Honors)

Freshman year grades:

English 9 HN -> B+
World History HN -> A-
Geometry HN -> B
Biology 1 HN -> A-
Spanish 2 -> B
Health & PE -> A
Intermediate Orchestra -> A

Sophomore year grades:

English 10 HN -> B
AP World History -> C
Chemistry 1 HN -> B-
Algebra 2 HN -> B-
Spanish 3 -> B+
Health & PE -> A
Cybersecurity Cisco 1A (semester course) -> A
Cybersecurity Cisco 1B (semester course) -> B+

Junior year grades:

AP Language & Composition -> B
US/VA History HN -> A
AP Macro/Micro Economics -> B

Precalculus w/ trig -> A- <- this is a regular course. Due to unfortunate circumstances I couldn’t take HN, even though I and my counselor tried our best to switch me. This led me to not being able to take AP Calculus BC in my senior year, even though I so desperately wanted to.

AP Computer Science A -> C+
AP Physics 1 -> A-
STEM Engineering - A

Classes I’m taking currently (senior year)

• US/VA Govt Honors
  • Engineering Math
  • AP Literature & Composition
  • AP Calculus AB
  • AP Computer Science Principles
  • AP Physics C Mechanics
  • AP Physics 2

Here is a link to statistics for VT admissions to see how you might compare:

https://irweb.ir.vt.edu/webtest/FreshmenSummary.aspx.

Select 2016>College Summary> College of Engineering> General Engineering.

If your school counselor has Naviance, you should be able to see how you compare to other applicants from your school. If you need to be able to compare financial aid offers from other schools, apply RD. Take a look at VCU and Old Dominion for other in-state options.

Your grades are fine. You haven’t included your SAT score, so no one here can even really give you a vague idea of if you would make it in or not. Anyway, being from northern VA and not having calc BC may be a strike against you in terms of getting into engineering.

Need test scores to give opinion. VT is big on GPA and test scores.
UW grades may be a bit low - do you know your UWGPA?

If you are interested in University Studies as a way into CoE, be aware that they are making that path more challenging. It is now only on a space available basis. VT GPA determines your spot on the list of students considered for transfer into the specific major. It’s also more likely you will need an extra semester or so to finish.

Thank you! I’ve looked into Naviance and it seems that they only show the university studies grades and SAT.

My SAT is currently 1330, however I will potentially be able to raise that to ~1450 or so this October.

@ron124 Assuming a roughly equal math/verbal you are in decent shape. For engineering, something around a 700 in math is pretty important, a lower verbal won’t be as big a deal.