Will lack of EC's hurt my application!?

<p>Hi i am an AA student that recently completed the IGCSE diploma. </p>

<p>IGCSE is slightly more difficult that British GCSE and easier than IB. </p>

<p>I received the following results: (A<em>= American A+)
English as a second language: A</em>
English as a first language: A*
Biology: A*
Economics: A*
Math: A
Physics: A
Chemistry: A
Business Studies: A
ICT (Information and communication tech): A</p>

<p>In our system the only grades that are recorded are final IGCSE results.
Therefore these are the grades displayed on my transcript. My UNW GPA: 4.0+</p>

<p>The British system is much more focused on academics. No one really cares about EC.</p>

<p>I do 2 sports (captain of one of them) </p>

<p>I was also a school prefect which is another leadership position. </p>

<p>I have between 50-100 volunteer hours. </p>

<p>Here in Nigeria there are very little opportunities for teens like myself outside of school and my school doesn't offer any. </p>

<p>Will this affect me badly? How do i explain?</p>

<p>Help please :(</p>

<p>While your ECs may not be the best, you’ve shown commitment. Just make sure you convey that to colleges. Let them know how dedicated you are to these activities.</p>

<p>@Mrluggs </p>

<p>Thanks for replying. How do you suggest i show this commitment? My EC essay on the common app is about being captain and what it means to me. I think it is a good essay.</p>

<p>My personal essay is about growing up in Nigeria and how it has affected me. Any advice?</p>

<p>Any and all help is appreciated</p>

<p>I like your personal essay topic. It’s perfect. Are you a member of any cultural organizations? Maybe you can talk about that.</p>

<p>I hope so :slight_smile: What specific topics do you recommend i cover in this essay?</p>

<p>No unfortunately not.</p>

<p>Write about how being Nigerian gives you a very different perspective on life/how you’d apply that in a college setting.</p>

<p>I sort of wrote about that. How seeing the poverty/suffering forced me to mature early and motivate me to perform well academically so i can eventually make a change.</p>

<p>I would make sure that you included a profile of your school with your applications. Colleges understand that there are more opportunities at certain schools than there are at others and will not “punish” you for not attending a school that offers more ECs. The School Profile gives admissions officers an in-depth look at your school and what was available to you and will compare you to what was offered and what you took advantage of, how you challenged yourself and if you were successful meeting those challenges. </p>

<p>If your school does not have a School Profile, then you should maybe write one up and include it with your application to give counselors a better idea of the school you attend.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Lack of ECs hurt but not end of world.</p>