Will medical schools accept a pass/fail in orgo 1?

how bad does it look to take organic chemistry 1 as pass/fail? I took it in Spring 2021 and passed the class and was able to go on to take organic chemistry 2 and get a good grade in it. I have graduated college now and am trying to figure out if it is worth it to take organic chemistry 1 again for a grade. Does anybody know any course offerings that are online or convenient for a person working a full time job? Do I even have to retake the class or will medical schools accept a pass/fail course?

1 Like

A couple of things.

1. Why did you take the course pass/fail? Was a graded option available to you?

2. Some medical schools do not accept online courses for their required prerequisite courses.

3. I don’t think any medical schools allow grade replacement for an already taken course.

4. What was your second semester grade?

@WayOutWestMom

1. I took the course pass/fail because I was doing very poorly in it and there was a graded option
  2. My second semester grade was an A

If there was a graded option, I believe medical schools will expect that you would have taken that option. And I do not think any medical schools allow grade replacement anymore.

But @WayOutWestMom will know for sure.

1 Like

Do you know of any online offerings of organic chemistry 1 that is accredited?

If you plan to apply to medical schools, I think you should wait to see IF online courses and repeats of courses are a good idea.

Do I even have to retake the class or will medical schools accept a pass/fail course?

Medical schools do not accept P/F grades for pre-reqs (Exception: classes taken during covid which were P/F without the option for a grade).

Does anybody know any course offerings that are online or convenient for a person working a full time job?

Most medical schools do not accept online coursework for pre-reqs. (See MSAR for school-specific policies.)

I suggest that you retake Ochem 1 at your local community college. Most community colleges offer night and weekend classes, as well as hybrid course options.

6 Likes

Listen to @WayOutWestMom who knows this stuff.

IIRC orgo also has a lab component and I think you need to take the course with lab.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

Retake org 1 and lab at your nearby 4 yr state college this fall.

@bernedoodle1

You only need to retake ochem 1 lab if you took the lab portion of the class P/F.

3 Likes

I would not recommend that you take it at a community college. Med schools understand that community college classes are usually less rigorous than 4 yr college classes.

1 Like