Will not taking AP Bio hurt my chances in getting into bioengineering at Rice?

Hey so I’m a Senior, and I’m looking to apply for bioengineering at Rice soon. But I’m worrying about my course work. I’ve taken AP Physics C Mech as well as E&M junior year, AP Physics 1 sophomore year and scored 5 on both of them. I’ve also taken a lot of Programming classes where I did very well. I’m also taking AP Chemistry this year. However, I want to apply for bioengineering because it fits my extracurricular activities. I’ve had two research internships each in bioinformatics and bioengineering. I’m wondering if not taking AP Bio in school will weaken my application.

My professors recommended me to take Chemistry instead, should I mention that in my application?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think if you have a rigorous schedule overall, you’re fine.

If you don’t get into Rice, I don’t think it will have anything to do with this. It’s obviously a very difficult school to get into - and you’ll never know why if you don’t get in, but I can’t imagine it would be because of this.

Good luck.

Assuming that you have at least regular chemistry and biology, then choose between AP chemistry or AP biology based on interest, scheduling, etc… Both chemistry and biology (as well as physics) will be used in bioengineering.

Your prospective major does not necessarily have to match your high school extracurriculars. Many applicants have primary extracurriculars in such things as sports or student government, but are not intending majors in exercise biology / kinesiology or political science / government.

3 Likes

No, it will not hurt you at all. With AP physics C and AP chemistry on your resume, you do not need APBio.

2 Likes

Have you taken a biology class in HS? Regular or honors? If you have, then it won’t hurt you at all to not take AP Biology.

1 Like

As others have said, as long as you have taken a bio class in high school you will be fine not taking AP Bio since you are taking other science AP’s. Also, I just want to add that if Rice is your first choice I would highly recommend applying there ED.

1 Like

No, I highly doubt it matters to them at all. My daughter just graduated from Rice Bioengineering. She had taken AP Bio but no other AP science classes. The way her high school did AP’s you only could take 5 or 6 at most. After taking physics freshmen year at Rice she regretted not taking AP Physics in high school instead of Bio.

I don’t think you need to explain your course choices. You have taken high level science classes and have internships related to Bioengineering (which my daughter did not have). They just want to see you have the ability to do well in rigourous science courses. The coursework in Bioengineering requires chemistry, physics, biology, math and several types of engineering. You would likely not have to take the freshmen physics and chemistry (lucky you) but you would have to take Biology. Not a big deal. My biggest piece of application advice is to really spend time on your essays, especially the why Rice essay. Let them get a feel for who you are in your essays.

The Bioengineering department at Rice is fabulous. It’s smallish and the professors are very dedicated and involved. My daughter really got to know them well which led to great recommendation letters for grad school. The program uses a lot of “project based learning” where you apply what your learning in class to some really cool Bioengineering related projects. My daughter got some amazing hands on experience. They also just hired three new faculty members - 2 of which are a married couple with fantastic credentials.

1 Like

Adding one more “it won’t matter” . Hopefully you have taken honors Bio. If Rice feels you have the chops to be admitted, that one course won’t matter. My s went to Rice (started out as a physics major and changed to Mech E). He loved it! Great school! Good luck!

1 Like

Thank You so much everyone, it definitely helped! And thank you again for the good luck wishes!

2 Likes