Will Ridgecrest Refrigerators hold a Magnet?

<p>This kept me up all night…</p>

<p>If so, then you can use a magnetic paper towel holder on the side of the fridge.</p>

<p>Anyone know?</p>

<p>Well, some of my friends who lived in Ridgecrest South last year used little magnets to display some papers they had gotten, so I’m sure if the magnets on the holder are strong enough it would work.</p>

<p>Thanks! Some of the new fridges aren’t ferrous…</p>

<p>Some are.</p>

<p>TXArchitect, UA dorms have specially UA designed refrigerators. Developed through research in the Emerging Scholars program as a joint venture between the Physics and Engineering departments, not only do they not allow beer or any type of alcohol to be placed inside, they are self-cleaning, fingerprint smudge proof and made of a special space age material that not only repels magnets but flings said magnets 10 feet across the room if they get within two feet of the fridge.</p>

<p>Seriously, woman, you are WAY overthinking this. A college dorm is going to have college student grade furniture, appliances and fixtures. You’re not designing for the Ewing family.</p>

<p>^ hahahahaha!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>I am an ARCHITECT. My brain says “design! Design!”</p>

<p>Well, sometimes it says “chocolate!”</p>

<p>But most always… “Design! Design!”</p>

<p>Class2012mom, you are too funny!</p>

<p>Seriously, it’s possible to have a great looking dorm room without so much stuff and without so much angst. Paper towel holder + baskets over the cabinets + etc. = too much stuff = very difficult move out. :)</p>

<p>i am not an architect, but my brain does the same thing.</p>

<p>unfortunately, the kids seem to care far less about their spaces than we adults do. my daughter lived without a tv or any speck of homeyness in their RCS living room for the whole first semester. just didn’t bother them at all. oh wait … someone did buy and put up light blue ombre sheer curtains … ick!</p>

<p>fast forward to DD2. i try to nudge her along to make some decisions about usefulness/decor in their apartment. she is not interested. i have a decent collection of cool artwork that she could use some of for the apartment. she wants none of it … well ok … maybe she will take three after all. THREE?? for the whole apartment??? THREE???</p>

<p>maybe your daughter is different … and, like i said before, all this is likely for just ONE year. it’s ok, they don’t need every perfect solution (that will possibly or likely not work in the following years). </p>

<p>DD2 is set to move to another apartment next year. as much as it pains me to do so, i am not giving a thought as to how to make it work better for them.</p>

<p>I was just trying to clear up some kitchen counter space BCS RCE seems to have NONE by the sink.</p>

<p>honestly, i don’t remember my daughters suite having paper towels … they may have stuck one on the side of the cabinet, but i don’t remember for sure.</p>

<p>mine that i have now is mounted to the bottom of my cabinets.</p>

<p>^ Less space for dirty dishes to accumulate!</p>

<p>Seriously, TXA, I see a lot of myself in you. Last summer I spent way too much time and energy into thinking about dorm stuff, buying dorm stuff, etc. My son didn’t care. The other moms probably thought I was a tad overbearing. You are talking about living in this space for 8 months minus winter and spring break. I look back to last year and think the time and energy I spent doing college stuff would been better to have been spent doing things with my kid (even when he didn’t want to!). </p>

<p>Please don’t think I’m being critical. As an OCD mom, I really appreciate you wanting a perfect space for your child and her roommates.</p>

<p>Funny that the spellchecker on the BAMA forum changed my abbreviation of because (bc) to BCS!!!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>When she went to camp as a counselor I packed a clothes line and outlet multipliers.</p>

<p>( and silly string and glow sticks)</p>

<p>They used them all…of course, there were NO STORES IN THE MOUNTAINS OF THE ROCKIES…</p>

<p>If I haven’t said it before, I will say it for all to hear . . . THANK YOU TXA for thinking of all of these things for our DD’s suite . . . I may have thought once or twice about a few things for the room, so if it were just DD and I figuring it out we (she) would be in trouble!! I will have to say I got all excited yesterday when I got my DD a pampered chef dry/wet measuring cup (in case she does decide to bake cupcakes or something). I think DD rolled her eyes at me! : )</p>

<p>After Bama Bound DH told me she needed a very nice office chair. So, after lugging that one home in my vehicle yesterday I have really doubted how much stuff we will have room for when moving in! BUT - she does have a pampered chef measuring cup!!! LOL</p>

<p>So, TXA – should I take silly string and glow sticks off of our packing list – or do you think that the girls will want multiples? :>) Thanks for your attention to making the suite home!</p>

<p>TXA - I don’t believe the refrigerators are actually magnet proof, they just seemed that way when the magnetic white board I got for the fridge kept sliding down or popping off due to the fact that the door had a slight outward curve, but the board did not. Fortunately, one of our quick thinking engineers immediately remedied the situation with crimson-hued duck tape. (I believe that was also the remedy for hanging the blinking Christmas wreath I sent in December.)</p>

<p>As to the paper towel holder, I insisted on one. Just a simple black metal upright, but NRDSON actually expressed appreciation at having it so that was one of my FEW scores as far as he was concerned. Also, I very much appreciated the convenience of it during my sweaty, exhausting, dorm cleaning frenzy while Class2012Mom frolicked on the quad with Flat Stanley and Big Al.</p>

<p>I have said it before: Those toilets were clean enough to DRINK from, which was great because when 2012 returned from her pleasant frolic, she was quite thirsty and I was happy to help…</p>

<p>Christine - A comfy office chair is essential according to D.S. Good job!</p>

<p>UA purchases its appliances directly from GE (the semi trucks pull up right in from of the new dorms). The appliances are the basic ones you’d find in many newer student apartments, hotels, and such. There are no ice makers in the refrigerators, though the microwaves have digital displays and buttons rather than dials.</p>

<p>The refrigerators can definitely hold magnets, but not all objects with magnets have enough magnets in relation to their mass to stay up on the refrigerators. The refrigerators do not have metal coils on the back.</p>

<p>Note to self: ice trays…</p>

<p>Sitting here at BB laughing over this! DD will be rooming in Lakeside for Summer II. Then Tut for the fall. So we have to get extra stuff for a suite just for 4 weeks that will not be needed for the year.<br>
I can appreciate TXA as being the Interior Designer that has a deep love of architecture, I abhor bad design that can not function. The basic law of design, function! Drives me insane! I’ve asked DD about a different desk chair, no. I’ve asked DD about having curtains under her 33" lofted bed to hide the plastic storage drawers, no. And more. All to be told no. :(. However, for the 4 weeks of summer school she wants to decorate the walls. Forget the basics that can add to her comfort of living and studying. Drives me crazy!</p>

<p>txnewcollegemom … just say no! :)</p>