Will UC's rescind me?

<p>Hi, I am a senior IB student who just received a 2.55 unweighted GPA. I went down from a 3.0 unweighted to a 2.55 due to finals. I have 1A (IB 20thcentury history), 2 B’s (Anatomy and Theory of Knowledge), and 4 C’s (IB physics HL, IB Math sl, IB Spanish SL, and IB English HL). I applied to all 9 UC’s. Do I have any chance of not getting rescinded from all the Uc’s i’ve applied to? Also if I try really hard second semester and get an above average at least move the 4 C’s i have to at least 3 A’s do my chances increase in not getting rescinded? I really feel hopeless right now and I am looking for some hope that I will not get rescinded. Please help me out.</p>

<p>I worked as the College Advisor at a high school two years ago. I had a student who was accepted at UC Santa Cruz. He first semester grades came out to a 2.4 GPA. Even though he made up his poor grades, his admittance was rescinded. When I called to ask why I was told his first semester GPA did him in, regardless of the fact that he made up the classes.</p>

<p>Hopefully for you this won’t be the case. Good luck.</p>

<p>Thank you. I really hope it wont come to that but for now I think I’ll apply to a junior college just to be safe.</p>

<p>anyone else? -bump-</p>

<p>In past years, anything below a 3.0 uw could get you rescinded from Cal and UCLA. However, it was my understanding that the other campuses were more lenient and would only rescind for <3.0 weighted. Since all of your IB courses are weighted, your gpa-w should be 3+, yes?</p>

<p>Berkeley and UCLA had the most strict requirements: maintain schedule, 3.0 unweighted, and no D/F grades. Other campuses had accepted 3.0 weighted and/or 3.0 weighted averaged across senior year. Riverside had accepted D/F grades until recently. But this may all change because of the budget constraints and reduced enrollment.</p>

<p>Your best course of action is to contact each UC campus and ask whether you need to officially “report” the bad grades (you most likely will) and ask how this will impact your admission. You may not get someone helpful/patient at Berkeley and UCLA, but the rest of campuses should be a bit more forthcoming/helpful.</p>

<p>Bluebayou-yes my weighted gpa is a 3.66.
askmssun-Should i call the uc campuses before or after i get letters of acceptance around march?
ps-thanks guys I’m really worried at the time being. And no I have never received a D/F in my life.</p>

<p>You are fine man ,Don’t worry
My first semester senior year unweighted GPA was a 2.67 and weighted GPA was a 3.17 if i remember correctly and I am still attending a UC. Idk how UCB or UCLA will take this news but for other UCs you are still ok as long as you keep above a 3.0 WEIGHTED</p>

<p>^^ I can verify that UCLA was very unhelpful when I called about a possible D/F grade last year =_= . (But who knows, maybe the staff got fired since then… )</p>

<p>If you’re paranoid or just worried, you could try calling the campuses to ask how your GPA would affect your admission/acceptance. I have been told that the more competitive universities are less sympathetic, and people do get rescinded, unfortunately. (Lol, I even had my community college life planned out for awhile.)</p>

<p>Sunny, I would NOT call at this point. The old rule of thumb: it’s much better to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask permission! But more importantly, the only two campuses that might care are the big two, and you might as well wait to see if you are accepted.</p>

<p>OTOH, if you had earned a grade below a C, I would recommend writing – not calling – each campus and start groveling.</p>

<p>Why do anything now? All it could do is turn an acceptance into rejection. </p>

<p>Once you have acceptances from a number of schools, you will have the conditions of each school in front of you. At that time, you could contact a school only if its conditions would cause your offer to be rescinded and ask about a formal exception, but the best course is to only accept a school that won’t rescind you.</p>

<p>Thanks guys. I have a weighted 3.66 i forgot to say. And I am going to work really hard second semester to raise all those C’s into A’s (i promise, no screwing around with senioritis). Also when do people get rescinded? Is it before or after they pick the college they’re going to?</p>

<p>Recissions won’t occur over the summer, once your final transcript is submitted. But the acceptance letter will be clear on what the requirements are for senior gpa. If it is still 3.0 weighted, you have nothing to worry about. If you are accepted to Cal or UCLA, which requires 3.0 uw, you should send them a letter explaining the grade drop and how you have fixed it second semester.</p>

<p>Thanks babybayou. Is it true UCB and UCSD does the same thing as UCLA about the 3.0 uw gpa?</p>

<p>I forgot SD’s policy, sorry. But Cal and UCLA have had the 3.0 uw rule for the past few admission cycles. Of course, with UC, anything can change at any time. But admissions stuff usually is announced well in advance.</p>

<p>Good luck to you.</p>

<p>dude, like i said don’t worry
I was in the same situation as you are in now, last year and I still got into UCI and UCSB.
UCSD’s contract states the same thing as does the rest of the UCs without UCLA/Cal.
maintain an average of a 3.0 without getting any Ds or Fs. Now from what i understand you just had 4 Cs so you are fine.
the more you worry the worse you’ll do in your 2nd semester, don’t trip and enjoy the life of a second semester senior but remember to get above a 3.0 unweighted just incase. :)</p>

<p>if i might have gotten a D in physics first semester. what should i do?</p>

<p>A lot of people in my Calc class got D’s/F’s this semester. Some deserved them, others did not. Most of these people were shooting for the Mid UC’s, do they still have a chance?</p>

<p>angelfish : if you have a D and can’t change it, BUT if already fulfilled your A-G prereqs, I THINK you are fine but I would update the UCs, if you used physics as one of your A-G classes then :confused: </p>

<p>The Legend : they will have to contact the UCs and they will see this case by case.</p>

<p>You can wait until you receive the acceptances before notifying the UCs, but make sure you do it as soon as possible. Talking to the UCs earlier gives you the opportunity to open a dialogue so you can 1) explain your situation, 2) offer to make up the coursework, 3) figure out some backup plans. There is nothing worse than getting your acceptance revoked in August after your final transcript is evaluated; at that point you have zero options.</p>