Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

I have to say that I am having trouble figuring out if the opposition to EV’s (not in this forum) is because of real concerns or lobbying from those who want to influence our decisions.

The UAW doesn’t want EV’s because they are made with less labor. Car dealerships because they require less maintenance. Oil because they are less dependent on gas. Electric power generation does not use oil.

I guess that I’m feeling there are powers influencing our opposition.

But this is only a guess

4 Likes

The answer always is: Follow the money.

6 Likes

1 Like

I’m going to offer another reason. It’s a major paradigm shift. The majority of the population is used to how things function and are comfortable with that. You are asking people to spend more money upfront, make changes to their properties to accommodate an EV(s), change their habits concerning travel etc. Yes, the people interested in EVs will have overcome this paradigm but many at this juncture aren’t so motivated.

5 Likes

Bad to be dependent on China for the raw materials and the batteries.

10 Likes

That’s a real issue. My family wouldn’t drive a car that wasn’t AWD. The weather conditions can change quick. It’s a safety issue.

Battery technology will likely evolve. With any luck, there will be new ways to power EV’s that aren’t dependent on cobalt.

@lvvcsf i think you have a point. It’s hard to change. We feel comfortable with what we’ve used in the past and see no reason to change. Because it’s working.

The statistic from China kinda proves the point I was making. Yup it’s bad to rely on raw materials from Chinese companies. But to me, it’s just one part of any equation. How much of a ICE is dependent on raw materials from somewhere else? How much of the raw materials are found in the US? How many parts are manufactured other places?

A single data point isn’t very informative without other comparisons

6 Likes

The car makers are, and plenty of folks want them. Some “public” did not want ICE vehicles when Ford started mass-manufacturing them. :slight_smile:

Two questions:

If you’re out driving and your battery dies (for whatever reason), what happens? Is that something AAA can come fix and get you going again?

As I mentioned previously. I don’t have a garage. Most houses in my city don’t have a garage or carport. Many people don’t have a driveway and park on the street. What do they do? Run an extension cord down from the house to the street? That doesn’t sound like a good idea?

2 Likes

There’re already EV batteries that don’t use cobalt. The currently most promising one is LFP (lithium ion phosphate) batteries, but China dominates that market to an even greater degree.

3 Likes

Of course, fueling ICEVs with petroleum increases demand which raises petroleum prices which means more money for various foreign policy problem countries like Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc.

1 Like

Interesting. Yes, I know that battery technology needs to have a major breakthrough in order for some of these products to gain adoption. Any battery that reduces reliance on rare minerals, great. Anything that can ensure the cars’ chips are made in the US and won’t suffer from supply chain issues, great.

1 Like

Many Telsa models are AWD. A couple of years ago we were going skiing, slipping and sliding, in our FWD minivan. By contrast, the Teslas had NO problem getting to the ski area (some with cables, others without).

3 Likes

That’s dependent on who’s producing the petroleum. Production in the US can be and has been shown to be independent. So we don’t have to give $ to these countries to power our vehicles. Refer to a couple of years ago. Energy independence, a way to have more options and lower costs.

3 Likes

Petroleum is an easily and commonly globally traded commodity, so the US market for such is not walled off to the point that it is unaffected by and does not affect the rest of the world market.

3 Likes

@ClassicMom98 as I’ve talked about in this thread, my daughter owns an EV without a garage or anyplace to charge her car at her townhouse.

She found a public fast charger one block from her house. She only has to charge the car once per week with her normal commute. She parks the car at the charger and walks the one block home. She then goes back after an hour and moves the car to her house.

As charging stations become more prevalent, it’s going to be easy to charge your car without the infrastructure at your home.

She’s put in a proposal to have a charger put in her place of employment, her state is offering grants to do so. If they wanted to, it wouldn’t cost the company any money. She’s also proposing that her company changes their forklift and other equipment to electric. It’s a cost saving as they replace equipment.

She can charge her car while she grocery shops. Her fiancé has a charging station at work. They make it work.

My daughter has been really surprised how easy it’s been to charge her car without any way to do so at her townhouse

7 Likes

No one said it did. World markets are great, use them as needed.

Except that “we” as a people or country is not the same as oil companies that actually control production and sale of oil.

2 Likes

Can’t really respond to you in a meaningful way without breaking TOS. Agree to have a difference of opinion.

Not just Teslas, pretty much any EV SUV is AWD. And not just SUV:

2 Likes