Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Supply chain issues because there’s been far more demand than expected, not because the gov’t is forcing anything.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s the only point of EV’s. Perhaps it’s important for some. For me the appeal would be the extremely responsive torque motors, less mechanical parts, less standard maintenance, quieter drive and the ability to have it passively “refuel” in my garage without worrying about trips stops at the gas station during routine use (big trips excluded). I also am intrigued by the handling of the EV’s with independent motors for each wheel and some of the features that allows.

That said, I wouldn’t want an EV as my only vehicle yet at least for my personal circumstances.

2 Likes

True, but I can have my choice of 12 gas powered Ford F150s on our local dealer’s lot right now if we wanted one.

We decided we can live without for now. A Lightning would already have been in our driveway if they had one.

4 Likes

Because of ever more onerous fed and state emissions regulations and proposed legislation (see CA ban on ICE sales ) and actual legislation banning new gas stations coupled with a ridiculous US energy policy and car manufacturers are being “encouraged” to switch to EV manufacturing. This EV push is primarily led by the government.

3 Likes

Can’t read 400+ posts, but I’ve had a tesla for 4 years and I LOVE it!!! Just replaced the 12V battery last week, just within the warranty. Other than replacing the tires , I have spent NOTHING on maintenance. In 4 years!!

4 Likes

I tried that and got 2 in my entire city. One said 0/1 open and it was that sketchy place where comments said it didn’t work. The other is for a new fast food place that won’t open until next week. But then I guess that will be 1 then in the city! Not sure why the other 6 didn’t show from that other site.

We might get there someday, but not yet

1 Like

Bingo. Someone started a poll/survey on the Tesla blog last year, believing that going green was the most popular reason for purchasing, but the (unscientific) poll found many the other reasons you mentioned were voted higher.

1 Like

We met several people when skiing in Colorado and Utah in the winter that had flown in and rented Teslas to get to the slopes. H talked to one of the guys parked next to us since it was snowy when we drove up the mountain and the guy said the car handled it well.

4 Likes

It’s great taht it works for your D. I’m a huge fan of EV’s, but have counseled my kids not to get one until they have home (or work) charging available.

1 Like

The weight of the car matters, as well as the AWD is important. We live close enough to the water that a dangerous skid on some roads could land you in deep trouble. Everyone in our area knows this. There aren’t many people driving EV’s in the winter. Many people have two cars, a car for driving in snow/ice and another car.

Maybe that part is, but I’m nowhere near CA, haven’t had that part affect us - hasn’t hit our local news even though I live in a Deep Red area - and demand for EVs still has waiting lists around us.

If I were a company, I’d be scrambling to get on board and produce enough because most folks probably won’t stay brand loyal if they can get a different one. I don’t even know that we will.

1 Like

If EVs are heavier (they are - google it) and weight matters, wouldn’t that make the EV the safer option?

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was her best idea but she didn’t listen :grin:. She was bound and determined to get her EV.

The great news is that it’s worked out better than she expected.

My point was that maybe now not everywhere is set up for EV’s. But the future is what my kid is finding. That owning the EV is easier and less complicated than she expected.

6 Likes

That’s going to depend on other factors as well, like wheelbase, tire sizes, suspension, braking, weight distribution, etc. Lighter cars will typically handle and brake better, but again, there are many, many other factors.

IF indeed they are heavier, I haven’t compared weights as I’m not in the market for an EV. ( I looked and it said EV’s were heavier and also more dangerous due to the weight of the battery). Cars are all different in the snow/ice as you know. A heavy car tends to hold the road better. But that’s not the only factor. But two of the same class car can be very different. My last two cars, a Lexus and a Volvo. Lexus was a dream to drive, but not safe in heavy snow. And I like being in a car that’s higher so the mention that EV’s are lower is not a plus for me.

I’d drive whatever I was considering buying, naturally. I might pay up to 4K more for a hybrid. But that’s not how pricing is these days. I’m waiting to see what Polestar does. I like Volvo, I know they understand cold climates and will build something that will work in my area.

I know this isn’t pertinent to everyone but we live in a snow zone. Our sedan has snow tires, our Subaru Outback doesn’t. The car with snow tires handles better. That was even true when my husband decided he “needed” an Infinity G35, a rear wheel drive sports car. In the snow belt, no idea about that decision.:crazy_face: Put snow tires on that car and it was great in the snow. It was awful without the snow tires. They made a huge difference.

My husband drove for work a lot. He likes sedans, he doesn’t like SUV. We are convinced that the snow tires work better than AWD. WE have experience

2 Likes

It’s a fact snow tires work better on most cars than AWD. It’s also true that most people don’t want to buy two sets of tires and hope they put the snows on before the first storm hits. So they buy a car with all weather tires and AWD. But not related to EVs/Hybrids.

2 Likes

Reading through posts since I got on this thread I’m seeing a disturbing trend underlying some of it and I just want to mention what I’m seeing in case others aren’t aware of what they might be doing…

I’m seeing what appears to be politics affecting EV choice, both pro and con.

Since we’re on a College Board, I consider every single poster on here to be intelligent… so we all should realize politics has no place in the EV purchase decision at this point in time. (Even CA’s law that was posted was for 2035 - over a decade away. It’s not immediate or coming up quickly or even affecting anyone not living in CA.)

EVs are relatively new and the US doesn’t have the infrastructure right now for everyone to switch even if gas ran out (which it won’t in the near future). Batteries are being improved - as is mileage in gas vehicles. Heck, as we found out in the last week, even when we literally want an electric truck, we won’t be able to get it for 3 years as was the guess we were quoted. (He admitted it was a guess.)

Then too, charging stations aren’t everywhere (yet) as has been mentioned, so pending where one lives, they might not be a good option to go with even if one likes the concept.

That’s one side.

On the other, there are a lot of pros with EVs for the environment, during blackouts when they can be used as generators, great handling, less upkeep, no more finding gas stations with local use, and probably some others not coming to mind right now. No one needs to insist those aren’t true merely because they don’t want them to be true or heard something that wasn’t correct.

No one needs to be dissing EV’s value (or lack thereof for an individual need) over trying to connect them to a political side much like masks and vaccines were somehow put on political sides.

Please don’t go down that road. It’s frustrating to see happen. Look at the real info on EVs if in the market for a new vehicle and decide based upon your needs/wants if one might be right for you (and available). If so, great. If not, great. Buy what suits your needs at the time.

My head is spinning reading this thread and seeing THIS seeming to get connected to politics. As I said before, I live in Deep Red. Around me folks I know haven’t connected it. Our (Deep Red) neighbors were just as interested in seeing my son’s EV SUV in action as we were. No one I know of IRL on either side has connected what vehicle someone bought to their politics! I sure like to see things stay that way nationwide.

10 Likes

I have no problems with EV’s or the power grid at all, with the exception of two things. One, the car designs have been to say the least uninspiring IMO.

And two, I’m sure it’s no one here on this board, but some EV owners give off an aura. Back in 2006, when the Prius first came out, South Park did an episode called “Smug Alert.” A main character’s father buys a new Pruis and quickly begins to convert the other townspeople to buy environmentally friendly vehicles. After he alienates his friends with his attitude, he decides to move from South Park, CO to San Francisco to be around more enviromentally conscious people.

South-Park-Gifs — for havewefinishedflirting

1 Like

Here’s an article talking about EVs in snow - pros first, cons scroll down. Where we live we’re getting less and less snow, so for us, it’s not going to be a factor in our decision. If we lived where my kid does, I’d suggest investigating other tires if he had to drive in it when it’s bad (he doesn’t).