Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Meh. The batteries in those things only last 8-10 years or so and are $$$$ to replace. Even if one bought used ones that old, the cost of the replacement battery would increase the cost to buy. Even if they were bought a few years ago and depreciated, one would have to have had the funds to buy them initially. And also qualify for a Pell? Doesn’t pass the smell test, IMO.

2 Likes

Please, let’s get back to the topic. I’ve hidden posts.

3 Likes

Definitely different strokes for different people! Our road trips usually mean a stop to shake out the legs etc. every 2-3 hours of non-stop driving for about 20 minutes (not saying anything about the speed :laughing:). Which works out perfectly with the Supercharger locations. And I heard that Flying J will be adding EV chargers :electric_plug: in partnership with GM, which would eat into Tesla’s monopoly on fast off-highway charging.

Speaking of cargo, our X can be packed with a lot of stuff very efficiently. There is also a front trunk (frunk) that holds quite a few things, and a “downstairs” trunk in the back.

1 Like

We naturally stop every three hours or so too. I can’t fathom wanting to go 5+ hours non-stop. My bladder wouldn’t allow it for one thing. It’s not good for blood vessels to sit that long either.

But then again, our road trips often have us staying off interstates if we can too. We enjoy the journey by actually seeing things. Often we’ll take the interstate until our road trip “begins.” Sometimes we don’t even do that. We love to explore.

1 Like

Warranty lifetime is 10 years or 150,000 miles in CARB states, and there seem to be plenty of that generation Prius still driving around. Looks like the part is about $3.3k if it does need replacement.

Going back to the fears about fires, a non-hybrid gas Mercedes SUV just was destroyed by an electrical fire from the battery in my town yesterday. Pretty dramatic photos. Seemed to just be driving down the road. Luckily they got out and no one was hurt.

1 Like

My memory might be off, but the article I linked seemed to show that gas powered vehicles are 4 x more likely to catch fire without an external cause at this point in time.

Then too, I suspect the gas fueled versions are more dangerous in a crash due to the fire risk from the gasoline if there’s a spill putting vapor into the air, but that’s just me guessing.

No transportation is risk free. Neither is staying home and sitting on the couch as that leads to all sorts of health problems.

I can’t imagine letting the fear of a fire dissuade one from purchasing any vehicle of choice.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to know if the 12v battery was a lead acid or lithium ion battery. If caused by a lead acid battery, and not wiring, which Mercedes cars have had a bad reputation for their electrical wiring, then that’s pretty darn rare.

ETA: If lithium ion battery, then that’s what’s running hybrids and EV’s, but WAY larger.

I drive a 2007 Prius “beater”. 170,000 miles. Have not needed to have the battery replaced. I don’t get this “replace the battery every 8-10 years” thing. Maybe that’s in the literature, but it certainly is not real life experience. Car is only worth around the price of a new battery so that may be the end of it’s life if the battery goes.

2 Likes

I don’t know. It didn’t belong to a person I know, but friends of friends of friends so I was able to ascertain that it was not a hybrid and I could see the Mercedes emblem in the photo. It looked pretty new, like last 5 years or so. Pretty swank looking SUV before it literally went up in flames.

Probably some may be using the warranty lifetime, but many cars (or car parts) do outlast their warranties by a considerable margin. However, that may be more true for Toyota cars than (for example) BMW or Mercedes cars.

Toyota says a Prius battery will last between 100,000-150,000 miles or between 8-10 years. However, there are owners that have eked out far more mileage, as well as others who’ve reported fewer.

No one is saying to replace a functional battery @my3girls – just saying it may not last.

That is warranty mileage (8 years or 100,000 miles in non-CARB states, 10 years or 150,000 miles in CARB states).

Given the need to keep warranty expense down, most will last longer (Toyota does not want to be replacing a bunch under warranty at 9.9 years and 149,000 miles).

Hmm… regardless of the warranty, looks like the article says that’s the average lifespan (affected by many variables) . This article says some can get up to 200K Mi out of a prius with good care and maintenance. But if the battery needs to be replaced, it can be $$ and possibly more than the value of an older car (though in the current market used cars are more valuable) Prius Battery Life: Everything You Need to Know (caranddriver.com)

Happened to a good friend of mine….same type car. Fortunately he was parking the car in a field parking lot and no one was near his car. Car just stopped , started smoking then burst into flame. Consumed the entire car. The video looks like something out of a movie. The firefighter said the issue isn’t the gasoline in the tank exploding because it basically evaporates, it’s the tires exploding because the heat expands the air.

Glad neither of these occurred in the home’s garage!

1 Like

Chevy Bolts were known
For catching fire in garages Battery Experts Provide Deeper Explanations for Chevy Bolt Fires
GM urges Chevy Bolt EV owners to park their cars outside due to fire risk - CNET

@stringbird post 320TCO comparison- Very helpful,I have similar considerations for next car.

1 Like

My daughter’s boyfriend’s family has 3 old Priuses, all probably worth less than a battery replacement but also running fine. Definitely north of 150,000 miles, pretty sure the one he drives has close to 200,000. ICE can get pretty dicey after 150,000 miles too, my 2007 Expedition had the engine go out around 130-140,000. My son’s GMC pickup made it to about 175,000. Another we had made it to about 230,000.

I talked to a Honda dealer (who was not trying to sell me a car at the time) and he said it’s been a decade at least since they had to replace a battery under warranty.

I think a lot of the arguments about reliability and that question the environmental benefit can be traced back to individuals and companies that stand to lose money if EV’s become more common.

The availability of charging stations in more remote locations and the changes you have to make to driving habits especially over long distances are better arguments imho. Both are issues for me. I do a 5 hour each way road trip a couple times a year, plus an 8 hour and a 13 hour one annually. It isn’t fun, but those trips are with a purpose and I don’t want to spend the night along the way, or make them take even longer.

4 Likes

I posted on one thread before but we drove our 2011 Prius for 241,000 miles and just sold it for $4000. It was a great vehicle and never gave us any problems. It was still getting north of 55 mpg.

5 Likes

As some may recall, my good SIL bought my DS#1’s wife’s 2010 honda insight (hybrid) for @@&^#&$^ moocher BIL over a year ago (at a very discounted rate from DS) and she paid to ship it across country. DS probably could have gotten twice what he sold it to SIL for, but he felt this was the right thing to do. Car runs great but (##(^)(& moocher BIL is now complaining that some A/C valve or fan or something needs to be replaced b/c the a/c stops when the car does (might also be in eco mode). ITs been a great car. Hope he takes proper care of it (and no we arent paying to fix it).

1 Like