William and Mary vs. University of Richmond For Business Administration

Hey all! For the longest time I was interested in going to William and Mary for business. I’ve always wanted to major in general business administration, but seeing how William and Mary doesn’t offer it, I was gonna go for Business Analytics with a management concentration. (W and M offers a degree in business administration but you have to specialize, which I’m not sure if I want to do).

However, recently I discovered University of Richmond and it has the major I want. I like the vibes of both colleges, but I like the location of W and M better. Is it worth it to sacrifice the major I want and move to something similar for an atmosphere I’ll like a little better? What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Major first - then school. No point in attending a school that doesn’t have your major.

W&M has most majors. What do you want to study? If it’s a general bus administration degree, you likely won’t love the outcome. They offer several specializations - Accounting, Analytics, Finance, and marketing. What is your area of interest within business? If you look at minors, they have even more - entrepreneurship, supply chain, and Org Leadership.

Both of these are pricey schools - are they within budget?

Many colleges offer business and many will feel similar to these two.

Not sure why you are saying W&M doesn’t offer business. Their school is well respected as are many others.

Majors & Concentrations | William & Mary School of Business (wm.edu)

William and Mary doesn’t offer a specific major in general Business Management. Instead you have to specialize, which is a bit daunting since I want to keep my options open.

Money is not a problem. I don’t really want to limit my options solely based on finances.

You mentioned that there are schools similar to both of the ones I’m interested. Do you have any that would serve as a good safety school?

yes - and you should want to - because guess which degree in business pays the least and is the least employable - general business.

Or do an arts and science degree with business mnior.

And maybe you missed this on the Richmond page - they’re not dumb - the last thing they want is unemployable kids - and you need a focus area to enhance your odds.

It doesn’t mean you have to work in that area. I’m in sales - my former VP was an aerospace engineer. People in finance do marketing, etc. but few want a “generalist”.

From Richmond - all business administration majors must complete a concentration.

Here are your concentrations - and no, you won’t have to pick one on day one.

ACCOUNTING

BUSINESS ANALYTICS

ECONOMICS

FINANCE

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS

MANAGEMENT CONSULTING

ENTREPRENEURSHIP

MARKETING

Tell us more about yourself before I give you a safety. I don’t know what is or isn’t a safety for you.

Here’s an example of Business Management - I don’t know the % employed - but you can see the range - much lower - that’s what a generalist degree will get you.

But again - don’t worry about the major now - you’ll have a lot of time til you have to choose.

Salary Statistics | Undergraduate Career Services | Indiana Kelley (iu.edu)

I didn’t realize that most places require a concentration. That’s good to know!

As for information, I’m a senior from Ohio, with and UW gpa of 4.0 and a weighted gpa of 4.37. due to the size of my school, they only offer two AP classes and I’m taking both. Also, taken a few dual enrollment classes. I’ve taken the ACT twice and got a 31 the first time. I’m waiting on my second score, but imagine it will be a 33.

I am heavily involved in many leadership positions (class president - 3 years, student body chaplain - 1 year, NHS - president, worship team coordinator/leader 2 years, fine arts department lead student assistant, student director of musical, crew manager, etc.)

My ECs are heavily in the music world (principal tubist in a local college band and a local youth orchestra, pep band, student accompanist, member/leader of two worship teams, composer, weekly piano and tuba lessons, music tutor teaching brass instruments to elementary kids, etc.)

I would say I’m a pretty advanced musician and plan on submitting an arts supplement.

I’m looking for colleges with a similar vibe/rigor/“prestige” (not too important) as William and Mary or University of Richmond.

I could be wrong but other than academics, I don’t see many similarities between W&M and UR.

Campus wise - we thought Miami of Ohio was similar to W&M and obviously a safety.

Some might consider Elon similar - I’m not sure which - but size/campus wise.

How about a Lafayette, Bucknell, or even a Butler. U of Denver is another.

Don’t forget the publics - and some have Honors. If you want smaller, in addition to Miami, look at Delaware and U Pitt. You might look at the other Miami too (in Florida).

You might also look at an American as well - and a Syracuse (a bit bigger).

Thanks!! I’ll definitely have to add some of these to my list. It’s funny because a lot of them line up already with what I had.

I’ll definitely have to look at Miami. I’ve usually overlooked it due to its reputation as a major party school, but enough people have suggested it that it may be worth a look.

Every school has partiers - especially Richmond.

Another to look at might be Wake Forest.

Miami, Denver, Pitt, Elon would be safeties.

I was wrong about Lafayette - no business - but Bucknell, like Richmond, is an LAC with business.

If you are looking for that mid-size school, you might look at Bentley and as a reach Babson - but these are business focused. Lehigh but it’s got big greek life, but frankly, a lot of the big publics are strong - and you can go reasonably cheap. Or if you just want the smaller - then it’s your Maimi, Delaware, Pitt, even a UAH.

The big thing - don’t fall in love - period.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks!! My list is become more rounded, but hopefully I’ll get into William and Mary so I won’t have to worry to much.

For a bus degree from OOS?

It’s a lot of $$. I know it’s not important but make sure it is the case for mom and dad.

It’s a tough OOS get. My daughter, with better stats, was WL. So it is a reach so have others on the list.

Never fall in love. Ever. Have you even been to campus ?

I’m hoping my arts supplement and intent to double major in business and music will be a big hook for me.

My parents are of the mindset that they don’t want my college and my future limited by finances, so they are willing to make whatever changes to support wherever I go. It is doable as well.

I went on a campus visit in the Spring, and am going back in a couple weeks for another tour and an interview.

Double major is different. Do you want to study music business ??

If your parents can afford them great. If they can’t and have to make sacrifices to send you - you can go a lot cheaper and just as good. Don’t impact their lifestyle no matter what you do.

No. I will be studying business for a career, and music mainly for personal enjoyment/opportunity to give private lessons or join a local symphony of I ever choose to in the future.

William and Mary is an affordable school. University of Richmond would be the one that would be a sacrifice most likely.

Well you have to check with each to see if you can double. It may take longer or it may be you can participate in orchestras or lessons but not double.

A portfolio may help but may not.

You might add Case Western and Rochester to your list.

Good to know! I’ll take a look.

Denver and Miami (FL) both have top-notch music schools, which could be a plus if you’re at that level; both offer a music BA for double-majors in addition to the BFA. Richmond has strong performing arts too (plus there are more music opportunities available through cross-registration at VCUArts)… and they give some substantial music scholarships - half-tuition if I remember correctly - for which you have to commit to at least a music minor.

FWIW, Ohio State also has strong programs in both music and business, and the music school is quite double-major-friendly.

I agree that Wake Forest fits the pattern of schools that you seem to like. Tulane and Emory could also be worth considering as reaches. Farther north, maybe look at Boston College in addition to Babson and Bentley.

As far as your business major, if you don’t want to specialize in accounting, marketing, etc., I think your plan to lean toward analytics sounds smart. That would give you a very versatile skill set.

In terms of the PA LAC’s, in addition to Bucknell, you might want to look at Gettysburg, which has a well-regarded music conservatory and also has a Business, Organizations, and Management major. In addition to the BM, they offer a BA that’s more amenable to double-majoring. Fast Facts - Sunderman Conservatory of Music - Gettysburg College There’s also Lawrence, in Wisconsin, where many students double-major across the conservatory and the liberal arts, and a new Business & Entrepreneurship major was just introduced this past year.

5 Likes

My son is looking at both of those schools also and U Richmond has a very responsive music department and music specific scholarships. He reached out to the music department and the teacher for his instrument has already reached out for a trial lesson and the department seems very interested in advanced students.

2 Likes

For many business programs, a concentration is only 4 or 5 courses beyond the core. Much of the curriculum is the core: calc, accounting, econ, finance, stat, marketing, management, OID, ethics, etc. Then you’ll probably have some breadth and international requirements and possibly some gen eds. Look at the whole curriculum to see. Double concentrations are quite common among business students.

We also loved Richmond when we visited. They were attentive and friendly. And the campus is one of the most beautiful I’ve seen.

1 Like

Good to know. Thank you!