Williams College Diversity

Hey everyone. I’m a freshman at a college in Vermont. I was looking into possibly transferring to Williams in the near future. I have heard that it can be racially tense and suffocating. I am already in a place that has next to no diversity, and am trying to avoid another situation like it. Any thoughts from black students or people in color who go to Williams? Do you find the environment to be tolerable? Thanks.

As an alumni of color, I suggest you don’t. Williams is a suffocating place to go to. Stay away.

My daughter is going to be a member of the class of 2015. She was accepted to all of the schools she applied to including two Ivy Leagues. We chose Williams for a variety for reasons and she has classmates that are also of color from her boarding school that attended who loved it. I don’t think it’ possible to get an answer on such a broad question. Your experience is largely determined by you. If you go in expecting it to be stifling, many times that is what you will find. Any school will have challenges but don’t base what is best for you on what you hear from others including alumni…My daughter has always attended schools that are predominantly white and she’s had incredible experiences. Don’t look for a place to welcome you…be the person who makes anywhere they are a welcoming place…:slight_smile: Good luck with your decision.

The tense racial environment was why I did not go there many, many years ago. I love the advice about making every effort to make a place welcoming, and that will give you your best chance. But I know that you cannot welcome yourself. You deserve a community that embraces you. So visit the campus and observe as much as possible. Read (between the lines) newspapers, Facebook pages etc.

Would be curious to hear about your decision, as last year my D was accepted to both Williams and Middlebury, but ultimately chose Penn. Extremely diverse and empowering environment.