Williams College Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Williams College.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

Also, looks like Williams is not requiring the supplemental essay regarding an experience with someone with a different background, interest or viewpoint as they did last year. The optional supplement where you can submit an essay or paper from a class is still being offered.

4 Likes

Here is a link to another discussion regarding the optional supplement:

Williams - no supplemental essay this year? - Colleges and Universities A-Z / Williams College - College Confidential Forums

Also, even without the supplemental essay, there are other options in the app which allow you to provide additional information or writing samples. I recall that once you enter the college specific questions in the common app, you have the option to include a third recommendation for example. Also, you can send anything else to the a separate additional documents email address to supplement your common app essay.

1 Like

Interesting article from the Record regarding convocation and the call “to contribute to the transnational and transhistorical project of expanding the boundaries of human knowledge.” Consider contemplating this call in preparing the essays and the application.

2023-24 academic year commences with Convocation – The Williams Record

ED submission date is by November 15, also, regarding supplemental materials, you can still submit an academic paper, as well as an additional recommendation letter once you complete the application.

Does that mean you can submit the additional recommendation/academic paper after the November 15 ED deadline?

I believe the website mentions that recommendation letters can be sent after the application is submitted. When you apply, they give you an option to add a third recommendation, so this could be done after Nov 15, it seems.

1 Like

has anyone submitted an arts supplement?

i did. finally submitted the app today. i’m so tired

1 Like

S24 was confused about the question about plans for music at the school. Did you write a full essay? That is what he is planning now

2 Likes

I just wrote a short response. Like a paragraph.

1 Like

Thanks!

I wish Williams had mentioned the arts supplemental essay on its website. My kid had been thinking that it was just an art resume and portfolio, which is what the website says. I guess the lesson is to check the Common App.

Agreed. It is annoying. S24 is going to write something quickly. It is basically an artistic statement I guess he had to write one for northeastern and this seems simpler. The good news is that it gives him somewhere to say why Williams and have something meaningful and specific for the application.

2 Likes

IIRC, my D had to write something with almost every visual arts portfolio that she submitted. I don’t think she could use the same one for every school bc t some wanted one overall artistic statement and others wanted short statements about some or all of the pieces.

1 Like

Ok, kid’s ED app is in. Let the anxious month of waiting begin.

3 Likes

S24 is trying to submit the arts supplement but it isn’t going through. Won’t take payment. Anyone else having an issue?

If there is an issue, you can email your admissions rep or call the admissions office to clear it up, the admissions office is generally very helpful. Regarding art/performance supplemental essays, yes, they do ask for a short statement but it is meant to be an unrehearsed or overly edited quick statement. Definitely use these to add more context but I think it is only reviewed by the art or dance department, not the admissions team. The art or dance department then use this information in their comments.

Also, you can submit supplemental materials like research work and anything else that is important to you or noteworthy to the email address for supplemental materials.