Williams College Transfer 2023

Didn’t see a transfer thread for 2023; I decided to create one as there was one last year.
Applied last year as a transfer from a community college: waitlisted, then closed waitlist. Hoping that this year will be different!

3 Likes

Is anyone else applying to Williams as a transfer this year?

Will post regular decision numbers when available since that will provide some insights on transfer pool this year. They have been increasing community college transfers the last few years but still very competitive, do you some back ups?

Yes, I am a California resident so I have the UC’s. Williams is my top choice by far though.

Great, also, take a look at the Common Data set numbers on the Williams website from the last few years, it’s very competitive to transfer.

Yeah I’ve read over the last ones that they published, only like 11 people admitted.

Decisions last year were released 6 days after RD. Maybe something today but I won’t hold my breath haha. Really hoping that things are different for me this year. I applied last year with only two quarters worth of credit but all A’s. Now I will have 2 years of all A’s, stronger LOR, stronger EC’s, honor’s program (Mellon foundation scholar), army experience, very low income. Councilors and professors told me my supplement essay was super good. Again, it’s a lottery but just trying to make sense of it all haha.

I also got their travel grant program to visit Williams for a day (virtually) IDK if that is indicative of anything.

Great news! That is definitely a good sign. When you apply, there is an option for an additional recommender in the application portal, be sure to have someone who knows you very well lined up to send a letter. Have you taken any classes at another another university or college?

Yeah, I want to a CSU for a semester and left for a community college. I have 4 letters of rec, 3 of which are academic and the other one is from work. One of the academic ones is an alumni too! All my recommenders know me very well.

Sounds great, one idea would be to take a class at a state flagship in their extension program in your area of interest, and get a recommendation from the prof there.

Yeah I’ve tried that, no extensions near me fit for my schedule which is unfortunate. I just have to wait and see what happens at this point. Really on edge haha I hope that they release them today so I can stop being so nervous! I know that some accepted students get package notifications, and therefor know that they got in ahead of time. I haven’t gotten anything yet, but just waiting for now.

Rejected :frowning:

So sorry to hear this, you provided your best efforts and take some time to consider next steps.

1 Like

Well I got waitlisted :confused:

Great news, fingers cross for you!

Hi,
Current Williams transfer student from the California community colleges. I just thought I would post this information here in case it might be helpful for anyone scrolling.

Yes, you can get off the waitlist if enough admitted students defer or reject admission offers. It’s happened before, granted it’s only like one student but still. Our cohorts have averaged 9-12 students enrolled, and about 15-17 admission offers total. We typically lose a few admits to other Ivys like UPenn, Yale, etc. So don’t lose hope and do send in supplemental letters.

If you got rejected, don’t take it personally. Yes, we’re trying to have bigger transfer pools but Williams messed up last year and overenrolled their freshmen class by over 100 students and so across the board they’re reducing admissions. We do not have enough housing for everyone and it’s affecting the transfers admissions pretty heavily–particularly veterans and students that have partners/kids/need to not live in a dorm. Suffice to say it’s more competitive this year than previous years.

1 Like

Thank you for the additional information. I did hear than only a handful of students were placed on the waitlist, so I’m really hoping I’m lucky enough to make it in.