Winter break?

<p>When do students leave for winter break? The website says exams are over on December 14th but that University closure is from the 21st to Jan 1st.</p>

<p>Students can leave once their exams are over. UA is open longer than that as faculty and staff don’t get as long of a break.</p>

<p>Rumor has it that there may be a new reason to stay at UA over part of winter break, but nothing has been officially announced.</p>

<p>Okay thanks. I just needed to make sure I could get home over that weekend.</p>

<p>Are we allowed to know about said rumor?</p>

<p>Would love to hear the rumor! D has 2 finals. One on Monday and one on Friday.</p>

<p>SEA_tide you tease…</p>

<p>All my son needs is one more excuse to keep from visiting, sigh. And if he finds some lovely young lady to bake cookies and help with his laundry (beth’s mom’s D?) in exchange for tech support, we’ll never see him again.</p>

<p>(Excuse me while my husband and I exchange high fives…)</p>

<p>Let’s just say 2 days without internet access due to violent storms has taken its toll at NRDMOM’s house…</p>

<p>Computer geeks hate losing access.</p>

<p>A lot.</p>

<p>Some people (not usually myself) like surprises. :slight_smile: What I can tell you is that I heard a discussion of staff planning for it a few months back, but haven’t heard any more about it since then, but would think that it was for Winter 2012/2013 rather than Winter 2013/2014. Considering that UA does not allow registration for Fall II until the “Drop Without a W” deadline for Fall has passed (which somewhat a disservice for most students), I wouldn’t expect a formal announcement for a couple months, if the new reason to stay comes to fruition.</p>

<p>NRDMOM, cell and data service often stays up or is repaired more quickly after system damage when compared to landlines and cable/broadband. Verizon has a specific program to get its systems fully operational as quickly as possible after disasters strike, which may include mobile (mounted on a truck chassis) towers and bringing employees in from neighboring states to help repair the damage.</p>

<p>Thank you, SEA-tide - clear as mud to me now…</p>

<p>Yes, his cell was fine, it was his home-made, massive, powerful, poised for world domination gaming computer that was not fully operational.</p>

<p>Made him cranky.</p>

<p>How early will the dorms open back up after winter break? I am would like to go ahead and purchase my son’s plane ticket for winterbreak, but am unsure of when he can return to campus. With classes beginning on Jan. 2nd, I know the dorms will be open on the 1st, but what about on the 31st? UA’s website has not been updated yet, so the residence hall calendar is for still last year.</p>

<p>UA reopens on Jan 2, but classes don’t start until the 9th. :)</p>

<p>[Spring</a> 2013 Academic Calendar | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/spring-2013-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1]Spring”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/spring-2013-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>C.O.W.- cell on wheels
C.O.L.T.- Cell on Light Truck</p>

<p>my husband builds them for verizon wireless for things like the inaugration, disasters, and even had to put one or two in place for the trial going on at Ft. Meade related to Wiki Leaks. They were used during 9-11 too, I believe. I remember the push to get them ready to travel from here. Anytime fast return of service is neeed, or a significant increase in service is expected the COWs and COLTs are brought in. </p>

<p>Now when you see a mobile cell tower, and hear them referring to them as farm animals, you know why…</p>

<p>And when you have service during things like the inaugration, and those beside you do not, you know why…my husband.LOL ! (oh, and all those other guys that build them for Verizon too)</p>

<p>Nursingstudent14 - OMG! Thanks for that info. I should have looked for that info more carefully. :slight_smile: Those dates definitely make more sense.</p>

<p>Not that early. I would think the following week.</p>

<p>I booked my son’s flights already. </p>

<p>Remember the dorms re-open on Sunday 1/6/13 @ 10am and the BCS National Championships are Monday 1/7/13 down in Miami…figured he would rather be in T-town if not Miami for the game :)</p>

<p>Smart thinking, CrimsonMomNC! :-)</p>