Winter clothing needs

What do your college daughters (or sons) wear in snowy locales? My D is from California but will likely be attending colleges in a cold snowy place. She wants to fit in, obviously. Do girls actually wear boots like those from LL Bean and knee-length coats? (Yes, I do feel silly even having to ask.)

Edit: As this has become a general discussion about winter clothes, “sons” has been added to the post.

It may depend on how cold where your daughter goes is, but mine is where it gets cold and snowy for an extended period. She does wear a knee-length parka daily when it is cold. She doesn’t wear boots often because the walkways are generally clear.

2 Likes

Styles differ by school and she can probably wait until she gets there. Check out the school’s IG to see how people are dressed.

At the Maine schools, for example, insulated Bean boots are pretty much standard issue! At an urban school, you might see slightly more fashionable Sorels, for example.

5 Likes

Yes to both - LL Bean boots and knee-length parka. D hates the principles behind the Canada Goose coats with the fur so she hers is a cruelty free version.

3 Likes

Short answer yes - but she will have plenty of time to check it all out and won’t need those items for a few months after Fall semester begins. If it is important to her to be “on trend”, she can see what others are wearing. I know Aritiza makes very nice winter coats (Canadian company) has great sales and fashion forward, North Face is quite popular and many others. I talked my daughters into taking a pair of silk long underwear from REI/LL Bean as a base layer - they said they would never wear it - and now each asked for another pair since the cold weather showed up (very thin and can layer under jeans etc). Figure you can’t lose with LL Bean anything too :wink:

My daughter has 4 coats (this is where my husband will roll his eyes. Columbia Gore-Tex rain coat, knee length (or a bit shorter) Aritiza puffy coat (not water proof, but very warm), Aritiza very warm winter parka that is water proof - not just water resistant, and a hip length Northface down coat - also warm and only water resistant. None of these were new purchases for college - as we live in a colder climate and she hasn’t grown for several years.

3 Likes

My Southern girl now wears a knee length parka daily. :grin: And she’s at a mid-Atlantic school. Haha. She has LL Bean insulated duck boots, Sorels and knockoff Timberlands she wears, but unless she’s leaving the usual walkways that’s not absolutely necessary.

She is really enjoying snow fights and building snowman, but after the fun she’s kind of over it. And I remind her that she really considered going to McGill… to which she responds “but they have underground tunnels!” :woman_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

New Englander here. My DD never owned a pair of winter boots until she went to california (to a place where it never snows) and bought UGGS as a freshman.

But to be fair, she also didn’t do a lot of outdoor walking in the winter, and frequently borrowed my Sorels if she needed to.

This same DD now lives near here…has a down jacket with hood, and asked for Bean Boots for Christmas (she is still waiting…the color she wanted was sold out).

My kid says a warm pair of gloves and good socks also go a LONG way to keep you warm….and layers…because the insides of buildings tend to have varying temps.

3 Likes

D20 swears by merino wool shirts and wool lightweight sweaters. Also good wool socks (are you sensing a theme, lol). She has classic taste, not a lot of ‘labels’ on clothes for her, so she likes finding basics that can be worn over and over and wear well.

Smartwool has nice shirts that wear well and are washable (super soft). Great for layering and have good shape. Their socks are also excellent.

She also has some cute Jcrew merino wool sweaters, and several bulkier oversized sweaters that she layers with her smartwool base layer.

Has a Superdry Parka, highly recommends. Its a Japanese brand (I think) so the sizing is a little small for many Americans, but lightweight and warm. Also not nearly so expensive for good quality winter coat.

https://www.superdry.com/us/womens/jackets/details/230781/arctic-tall-puffer-coat-red

Then it is jeans (she favors Madewell and AG), with a pair of leather riding boots in the fall, a pair of Kamik’s in the winter. She likes these boots because they aren’t super heavy but keep her feet warm and dry.

There are plenty of girls wearing LLbean duck boots (yes, really) as well as more expensive brand coats. And plenty not wearing that stuff.

But wool socks is definitely where it is at when it comes to staying warm in cold weather.

2 Likes

@thumper1 makes a good point about layers. My D mentioned the other day that she does not wear her base layers to class because then she gets too warm in the classroom. Removable layers are key. She saves those for extended periods outside. Luckily her roomie is from Pittsburgh and able to give her advice because I’m not much help. Lol

1 Like

My D took her Patagonia Nano Puff and Sorels to her urban, mid-Atlantic school and that combo keeps her pretty warm. On very windy days, she will add a fleece layer underneath her jacket. She also just has regular boots and some all-weather Vans for cold/rainy weather or when the walkways are clear. Warm gloves and socks are essential too. Checking the IG is a great way to get a sense of the style.

ETA: A parka/long jacket is a great idea and I would love for my D to wear one, but she has firmly refused (then complains about her legs being cold :joy:). She argues that the classrooms are warmer than outdoors and a parka is too bulky to store during class.

3 Likes

Yes on needing good winter boots, thick socks, hats, gloves, and a long jacket if your D is going to be living in a northern state.

2 Likes

My other daughter loves this Kamik boot and Smart Wool tops (great christmas gift too) and their socks. She is a college athlete and works out in all weather plus uses the Smart Wool for ski layer too.

2 Likes

Sorels and a parka that comes to mid thigh, not knee length.

2 Likes

D20 wears her Blundstone boots pretty much every day once it turns cold at her school in the northeast. She has the LLBean boots but I don’t think she wears them. Smartwool socks are great.

3 Likes

My D21 from WA is going to school in NY. We’re used to rain, not snow, so had to buy a few things. She really likes the base layers she bought from Uniqlo. She got them on sale late last winter. The end of winter is a great time to buy winter gear for the next winter. We also got her a great parka on sale from REI and some Kamik (maybe Sorel?) boots. She also has Timberlands. Gloves have been more important than she anticipated.

3 Likes

We love Smartwool socks in my house. I agree with all the previous posters about their quality and warmth. The REI branded wool socks are warm and comfy too. I remembered that D also likes to wear fleece-lined leggings under her destroyed jeans (i.e. jeans that have more holes than material). I think we got those at REI too.

3 Likes

We are in NC, so not so cold, but my D22 will be going to school in the mountains where it does snow. I’m sure she will be wearing her Doc Martens. I anticipate getting her a new/used puffy coat. She does a lot of thrift shopping and prefers that to fast fashion and buying new items. She has a long full length wool coat that she may take that came from the thrift store. It’s very warm, but it is bulky.

I think the advice to look at the school’s Instagram is spot on. You can see what kids are wearing. My D22’s soon to be school is very outdoorsy and not trendy. Doubt if many people have Uggs or LL Bean Duck Boots and I also doubt if D22 would want them.

ETA: I had those LL Bean duck boots way back in the dark ages and found them not so comfy and they made my feet sweat. Hope they are better now.

3 Likes

This is all very helpful information, everyone! Looking at the current temps for places she’s applied, I’m seeing 10 degrees, 23, 31, -4 (!). We’ll see what kinds of things are on sale right now (we are going to a couple of these cold places next month for admitted student events).

Thank you!!

1 Like

@Ally86 Smartwool usually has a 15% off coupon floating around. 30% also found 3-4 times a year. I have also found it on sale at REI as well as Nordstrom Rack.

1 Like

I got my daughter wool Bomba socks for Christmas and she says those are nice too.

3 Likes