Wireless Internet

<p>I was just looking at some pages on the UA website, and found a page saying that they had expanded the wireless internet network on campus. How is the wireless internet on campus, particularly in the Dorms and Classrooms? I’ll be in Ridgecrest South and in Engineering, so if anybody knows specifically how the network is in those areas, that would be awesome. Thanks, and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>it is a little spotty in ridgecrest south - especially in the evening when there are a lot if people in the dorm.</p>

<p>FWIW DS in Ridgecrest West has ever had an issue with it.</p>

<p>Sometimes we lose skype when we talk with son in Riverside East. He’ll then call to let us know that the internet is down.</p>

<p>Coverage is very good, but the technological limitations of current WiFi technology cause problems when lots of people are using the WiFi. In Ridgecrest West, I know that around 10 PM on Sunday, the WiFi will be slow, so I use the Ethernet port in my bedroom. I often have problems with WiFi on my iPod Touch as it needs a stronger WiFi signal than my laptop does. I know that during evenings and afternoons at Ridgecrest West, along with certain time periods at the Business school, my iPod can’t get a good WiFi connection. That said, today I was able to stream radio on my iPod for much of the way back from the Honors College to my dorm.</p>

<p>My kids have never had a problem…</p>

<p>Younger son has been in Ridgecrest South for 2 years.</p>

<p>Older son has been in Riverside, Lakeside, and now The Bluff (which is off campus)</p>

<p>I think there are ethernet ports in the bedrooms to use as well, which should overcome anytimes that might be difficult.</p>

<p>Personally, I’ve used my laptop all over campus…in the Quad (on the grass), in The Ferg, in academic buildings, etc…I’ve never had a problem. </p>

<p>the only time I’ve ever had a problem was with my Smart phone on Gameday on the Quad…100k people, many with Smart Phones…and my phone was slow to surf.</p>

<p>The campus wi-fi is slightly spotty, and, when working, comparable to regular cable/DSL internet.</p>

<p>The wired internet (ethernet) is psychotically fast, however.</p>

<p>Hmm, wondering if S needs the 3G for his ipad or the wi-fi will be sufficient? Its nice to have for traveling, but not sure if he needs it. What about on the strip in Ttown? Not sure what he will use most of the time, I assume his laptop.</p>

<p>The strip’s WiFi is called TideFi. Anyone can use TideFi for up to 2 hours per 24-hour period.</p>

<p>Alright, cool. I had no idea about the TideFi, thats great! What about in the libraries?</p>

<p>The two UA WiFi networks used by students are UA ResNet and UA Public. Most places on campus have both, but the residence halls only have ResNet. I’ll switch between UA ResNet and UA Public depending on connection speed and signal quality.</p>

<p>Ah, now I see why my son’s internet comes and goes. I bet it hasn’t even occurred to him to plug his laptop in the ethernet port. Hmmm…</p>

<p>No problem in the libraries. Also, there are computers in the library for student use as well.</p>

<p>I didn’t know about Strip use of Wifi.</p>