Wisconsin housing

<p>So I got in to Wisconsin and I know I want to live in the more city atmosphere in southeast. Can anyone tell me a little more about the dorms in southeast? i.e. Size of dorms/atmosphere/ whether mostly freshman live there/how close they would be to classes?</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Do your UW Res Halls website homework and look at the past few years of UW housing threads on CC. You can find out room sizes and layouts et al- don’t forget the lofting guides for some more info. All dorms available to freshmen will be at least 50% freshmen, the most popular dorms for returning students (mainly sophomores) will have those students grabbing the best floors/rooms in their chosen dorm. </p>

<p>Closeness to classes depends on where your course section meets- some will meet in a building other than their departmental one. Choose the ambiance you most want- the atmosphere you think you will be able to de-stress in. Expect to do some walking no matter where you end up. All dorms are well maintained, Res Halls has info on all sorts of variables. You can eat anywhere- perhaps consider whether living close to a dining hall or snack bar appeals most to you. Check the Res Halls dining site.</p>

<p>Anyone considering Statesider?</p>

<p>@badgerchic my daughter from nj is def considering statesider…what do you know about it?</p>

<p>does anyone have any statesider info, tips…thanks!</p>

<p>Most freshmen will live in Res Halls. Why would one want to live off campus and on busy (noisy) State St? Consider the meal plan- you do not have the flexibility of eating all over campus with it as you do with Res Halls. Who lives there- many OOS students? Do you want to be integrated with the rest of the new students, mainly WI residents, in your housing? However, UW is a diverse campus with many options for many different students. All have the campus/school in common.</p>

<p>I thought anyone could eat there?</p>

<p>Meaning any food contract with Statesider does not include Res Halls pricing for those facilities. Non dorm students pay a higher price than Res Halls dorm students for those places. I looked at the Statesider meal plans- reduced (by how much?) charges at several campus area restaurants- not the same homestyle foods.</p>

<p>I suspect the overall costs of living in the private dorms is higher than Res Halls can be. But then, not every student has a strict budget.</p>

<p>I got into Wisconsin in November and went to an Admitted Student day this past Friday. I talked to a bunch of different organizations (academic, housing, social etc) and got the chance to meet a few students. I highly recommend going to one if you can, I made the trip up from FL. Below is what I learned from this weekend:</p>

<p>In early May we list different residence halls and residential learning communities that you want to live in. I am thinking the Entrepreneurship learning community because I want to transfer to the School of Business and I think this will help my chance of being admitted because I would know a couple of the professors. If you are interested in transferring into other schools, then they might sponsor learning communities so I would definitely look into that. I also just liked Sellery in general because its in Southeast, which seems to be more in the middle of the actions rather than Lakeshore. Wisconsin has a really great page where you can look at all of the different halls (<a href=“Our Halls – University Housing – UW–Madison”>A Message from Our Dining Staff – University Housing – UW–Madison). The site has floor plans and everything about the dorms. Also, there are different prices for different residence halls. In addition to that, there is a rec sports master plan that will renovate different rec facilities. It may or may not happen because it still has to be voted upon but it will definitely effect this incoming class. You can find more here <a href=“About the Plan – The Master Plan.”>About the Plan – The Master Plan.. This may or may not effect where you live. They said they would also put up satellite workout rooms across campus during the construction. The dining halls are really good! I ate lunch there and there are so many options and everything looks so delicious. For freshmen, it is probably better to live in UW housing because you will be with more Freshmen and it will evolve into a better experience. They said that most of the UW housing halls are made up of freshmen for the majority. </p>

<p>If you can get to an Admitted Student Day, then I HIGHLY recommend it! Also, I would suggest looking up videos of dorms on youtube. </p>

<p>Also, if you sign up for UW housing with a designated roommate then there is a greater chance that you will get your top choices. Also, this may prevent some bad experiences with roommates if you choose a person you want to live with. There are student questionnaires that the housing committee uses to pair students (but I got the feeling that these were optional…) For the residential learning communities, there is a time period where you can log onto a system and actually choose which room you want so you would have to coordinate with your roommate to choose a specific room. I hope this helps! Sorry for some of the grammar and spelling errors, I didn’t feel like proof reading :stuck_out_tongue: </p>

<p>What are the hardest dorms to get into?</p>

<p>Particularly Dejope?</p>

<p>Another question: is a triple in Dejope just three people in a double?</p>

<p>Res Halls does not squeeze 3 people into rooms meant for 2- a triple should therefore be larger than a double. Do not base your dorm choice on popularity of any dorm. Rank your choices according to where you most want to live. All dorms open to freshmen will have at least 50% freshmen- of course some will have many more freshmen and returning residents will choose the “best” rooms. There is a wide variety of locations and styles and there are those who prefer one end of campus to the other. You decide whether lakeshore or Southeast fits you better and rank dorms according to your preferences. You could get lucky and get your first choice but be prepared for several others.</p>

<p>DeJope has both double and triple rooms.</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.housing.wisc.edu/docs/halls/dejope.pdf”>https://www.housing.wisc.edu/docs/halls/dejope.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;