Wisconsin OOS ($42k/year) vs. Full Tuition at State Flagship ($12k/year) for a Sports Crazy Student

Our son was just admitted as an OOS engineering major (transferring as a junior). He loves college and pro sports and is constantly watching games on his computer or phone. He has researched how “spirited” Wisconsin is and knows he would be very happy there. He also received a two-year full tuition scholarship to a college near home (known as a commuter school–the college dorms are almost empty during the weekend). Price is not an option since we have been saving for his education since birth. Any opinions from Wisconsin alums and parents of current students? Thank you for your advice!

What state flagship is a commuter school? It would help to know what that school is.

I’m not sure I’d pay an extra $30K a year for a sports/school spirit. Most state flagships have D1 teams, too.

@intparent - I guess commuter school is not the best description. A lot of kids go home on the weekends. We’ve saved the money for our student to go to an out-of-state public university. Asking any Wisconsin alums or current students how they feel about their alma mater (or future alma mater).

My child wants a good academic engineering program with weekend football games (school spirit).

@wis75 Thoughts for this poster on UW? We’ve been PMing, and they have solid reasons for an OOS option.

Finances are the biggest obstacle to going to any OOS school. OP- if no loans or family lifestyle changes then by all means UW is the place to be. I came from a suburb and did NOT want to got UW- I wanted to go away. I was lucky enough to afford (shoestring budget with scholarships then food service work) and discovered the UW campus was a world apart. Never went home- all the action around the campus. Eons ago visited a friend when she was elsewhere for grad school and that flagship was dead on weekends so I get how that can happen even at a large school. btw- decades later I doubt things are the same there. Eventually raised son in a different WI city, he went to UW. He is a runner, not a sports fan but also liked it.

There are UW alumni all over the country/world who each had a unique experience. Excellent academics, our reason for being there. Sports for those who like them (I went as a freshman), plenty of other activities for others.

If your son wants UW and it is a debt free option let him come. Warning- he may not get the game tickets, but the hoopla around game day is out there in and around campus. Fall Sundays may find people at odds over who wins the Packer-Viking game since with reciprocity there are plenty who go to the other state than they are from. Getting away is a great thing to do. Totally justifiable for the academics and not just for sports/school spirit.

Congratulations to your son! I think that you should also weigh the UW’s engineering department with that of the other school. That, in and of itself, may make the difference in price worth it. The UW is ranked 22nd for engineering schools according to US New & Reports. The College of Engineering has always been a difficult school to get into, so you should be very proud.