Wisconsin or Ohio State?

Which school would be better for a bio/chem major? I plan on going onto medical school and idk which school would give me a better education/get me more prepared. Ohio gave me almost half-tuition and Wisconsin gave me loans (which I will not be using)

I’d go with which ever is less expensive.

Obviously money plays into this but so does matriculation to medical school. Have you researched that?

For medical school any college works, as does any major.

Finances rule- go where you spend the least and save money for medical school.

For chemistry UW is a top 10 school- excellent.

Do as above and research medical school admissions. Advantage for instate students.

Save your money for med school. Either of these is a perfectly fine pre-med school. You have to master the same pre-med classes either way, both in a large university setting. Med school admissions are all about GPA, MCAT score, and getting some kind of medical experience (which can be done in the summer, or some students take a gap year after completing their undergrad degree to gain experience and work on their applications). One thing to consider is that sometimes smaller schools have fewer students in the pre-med classes and it is easier to get time from professors and help if you are struggling. Just something to consider – some LACs have very good pre-med preparation.

@wis75 @intparent @lastone03 @oboemom65 I was also accepted into UMichigan, so do you think Michigan would better prepare me/ give me a better undergrad education in those majors or would it be about equal across the schools?

This is a few years old, but the information makes sense.

http://www.prospectivedoctor.com/does-undergraduate-reputation-matter-for-admissions/

Keeping that in mind, I would additionally suggest you consider where you think you might want to go to med school, should you be accepted. Here are the rankings I came across: UM Research #9, Primary Care #5; UW Research #28, Primary Care #14; OSU Research #31, Primary #27. I am not sure of your home state, so I’m going to assume it’s OH, WI or MI. If you are from Michigan, and like the thought of UM medical school, it would seem to make sense to go to UM undergrad so that you could intern at the Medical school and build your resume. Plus, you’d be paying in state tuition undergrad which is definitely a cheaper way to go then OOS in Madison or Columbus. Lots of moving parts, but I think you get the idea. Definitely consider the cost of med school when considering your undergrad. And maybe check with a doctor you know - he or she could provide the best guidance. What do I know? I’m a banker. Good luck!

@lastone03 actually I am OOS for all three of them haha but I have no intention of staying instate so that isn’t an option. I am still waiting for about 10 schools but these are my options as of right now

@gradclass2022 which others are you waiting on? There are some really solid publics that give good money to OOS state kids.

Coming from a biochem major here at UW, the chemistry department is excellent - lots of great research opportunities and overall excellent instructors. The chemistry department also has some great honors options if you’re looking for a challenge, but the regular instructors are in general very good and well received by students. Some of my favorite TAs have also come from the chemistry department as well. Overall, there is just a lot of really good science going on here.

But it’s probably roughly similar across the three - they’re all big, well respected public universities that should adequately prepare you for med school applications as long as you work hard. All three almost definitely have university hospitals of their own, so you shouldn’t have any issues finding nearby clinical volunteer opportunities. I would lean towards somewhere that would save you more money - the med school application process isn’t cheap.

Repeat- for medical school any college will do!!! Even those schools never heard of on CC. ANY college will prepare you for becoming a physician. All three flagships will prepare you for grad school if that becomes your choice. It is all up to you to do the work and get the grades et al.

You need to decide where you want to spend your undergraduate years. Do NOT make the decision based on going to medical school. No matter where you go to college you will be OOS for that state’s medical school. You will need top grades and unless you are a top student you may find the school’s with top bichem/chem programs may be harder to get A’s in that a lower tier school. An advantage each of these flagship schools has over many elite private schools is that, unlike some schools, their top tier students are not as often premed but rather students with a passion for the fields. Yes, because of size, there will be plenty of students interested in medical school. But you will find the top (honors) classes will have future research scientists instead of mainly those using the major for medical school purposes.

Figure out which school/campus has the atmosphere you want to be in. All three are good for your proposed majors. It does NOT matter what their medical schools are like as you are not entering those. Each campus has its own flavor.

Look at the courses required and available in your major. I know UW has at least three different options for general chemistry and is an excellent department for chemical education as well as in research (I still get my Badger Chemist every year). Look at research opportunities.

Figure out family finances. You want zero debt before medical school. Most physicians do not have wealthy parents (I did not) and most will not work or get free money for medical school (scholarships/grants). Most of us go to the medical school we do because that’s the one we got into (often the instate options) and it is most affordable. Residency may be the time to choose location.

What if you do not get into any medical school? Then what? What if you change your mind? You need to go to a school you will enjoy for both the academics (your major and other classes) and the campus culture. You need a plan B other than medical school. Only YOU can decide which school seems like the best fit for you.

Get rid of medical school plans for now (ie this spring) and choose the option that is best for NOW. You will be happiest and then do your best work if you like where you are. You will need to be engaged in your classes. The quickest way to lose points with any grad student/TA is to have the attitude you are not really interested in their chosen field but only using it as a stepping stone for medical school. Pick a college major you can be passionate about, even if only as an undergrad.

@lastone03 I am waiting on about 10 more decisions but they include UNC, UT Austin, UCLA, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Cornell.

@silmaril I applied to honors at UW so I should hear back in less than a month now. Are you honors and if so do you feel that the course load is significantly different? Also, how is it being a biochem major such as how are the classes, the students, etc. Thanks!!

@wis75 thank you so much!! I have not heard that advice from anyone yet and it really puts things into perspective, but I am just nervous that if I choose a school for the finances and I ultimately plan on attending medical school, I will not be as qualified/prepared for the course load as other students from other universities. All three of these schools have atmospheres I really like but I applied to honors programs at each of them so that I could challenge myself as I have been in high school.

The UW Honors program is excellent. It is a way to get more intense classes in a subject. I was an early '70’s honors student and found many of the same course numbers still exist, with updated content of course. I checked when son was there. There is no segregation of honors students at UW- they are too diverse. In fact, my fellow honors chemistry friends and I liked to live in different parts of campus. It was so much nicer to choose one’s dorm than to be put with all honors or be required to take silly honors survey courses instead of in depth study of material. You do it for YOU. Can easily opt in and out of courses, just need to meet requirements to get the honors (of one type or another- comprehensive to just in the major) degree.

You will want to compare what is offered/required for honors at each school. Some schools have honors colleges with separate dorms and required classes, but only the first two years.

@wis75 Were you just a honors in the liberal arts student or did you also graduate with honors in the major? If I attended Wisconsin, I think I would like to do both (if I get in to both haha)

The hard part isn’t med school. It is getting into med school. I’m not saying med school isn’t tough – but if you took the pre-reqs and did well on them, and did well on the MCAT, you will be fine in med school. Unless your family is rolling in dough and can pay OOS tuition, AND most of med school, I’d stay at your state flagship no matter where you are (quite literally),

re UW honors. Son only did honors in the major. Eons ago I did the comprehensive major. This means I chose to meet honors course requirements in all areas, not just my major. I also elected to get a BA in chemistry because I liked the white tassel better than the yellow and met requirements for both (no difference in major requirements for BA versus BS for UW). UW only offers comprehensive majors and no minors. BS/BA choice irrelevant for a first job/grad/prof schools.

OP- Think first about costs! All of the schools you mention are top tier and work great for any medical school. The college preparation for medical is simple and ANY college, even that average one you did not apply to, will do. You can major in anything you want to- all nonsciences included. You need some basic chemistry, biology, math skills. You do not need any anatomy, medical terminology, etc. classes. You will be taught the medical school basic sciences there. Medical school biochemistry and pharmacology uses that basic chemistry knowledge required. It does not require a chemistry or biochemistry degree. Likewise other sciences.

Many premed students major in a biologically related science because they actively like it. Plus many of their required courses for their major also suffice for medical school applications. Others choose a different passion to indulge in their quest for knowledge in a different field. Undergrad years are the last chance they will get to spend time with this. btw- I highly recommend taking some arts classes such as art history and symphony classes offered at UW for your own enrichment.

You, and all others, are so much more than a major or profession.

It will require the same top grades and work at any school you attend. Some students find they can do better at lower tier schools and get top tier MCAT scores. Some can do well at top tier schools and the MCAT. Choose the school for the best fit education, not chances on getting into a medical school. You will do your best where you are happiest. Look at the campus and campus atmosphere- that is what matters.

@gradclass2022 There are 2 main types of honors: Honors in liberal arts and Honors in the major (or both, which is comprehensive). Honors in the major (which is what I’m doing) does not require entry into the Honors College and mainly focuses on completing honors classes within the purview of your major, in addition to completing a senior thesis. I personally decided not to try for comprehensive because I wanted to have more freedom beyond my major required courses.

Then, there are several different types of honors classes - some are only comprised of honors students, and others are honors optional (eg. you do some extra work outside of regular class). Honors optional isn’t that difficult; you can basically think of it as extra credit work. Honors only sections can be markedly more challenging than regular sections, and tend to have a small class size. I’ve essentially only taken honors only sections so far, and I’ll say right off the bat that they can be significantly more time consuming (but imo, quite rewarding).

Overall the professors are really good. It’s definitely an amazing feeling to be taught by absolutely brilliant scientists. In particular, I think chem 115-116, and the ochem and biochemistry sequences are taught very well. Biocore is an honors only biology sequence, and while the professors can range from great to mediocre and the lab component will steal your sleep, you’re not going to get a more in-depth instruction of biology anywhere else in the university.

The student community is great, both within my major and outside! In general I think you’ll find that everyone is very hard working and committed to their education. In addition, honors classes are also a great way to shrink down the campus - I’m still in touch with people I took Chem 115 with back in freshmen year.

It’s an Honors Program, not a college, btw. The Biocore sequence is good- requires some Organic Chemistry so not a freshman first semester course. You would need to figure out which Zoology course you want and plan accordingly. Honors advisors will be good at SOAR. Some Honors courses may only be open to Honors program students, or others only if there is room. Easy in/out of the program. No need to do courses for honors credit every semester but you need enough credits by graduation. Also for the major either research or grad level courses- for chemistry research a good idea but courses can work better for math majors. All of this becomes clearer once you are on campus.

There are now research opportunities for undergrads outside the honors program- check the UW website.