Wisconsin Respect

<p>collegeapp09, why do you think UW is so overrated? I don't mean any animosity, I'm just curious about your thoughts.</p>

<p>
[quote]
UMinn is still playing catch-up.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Moreover, I don't think it ever will. Although both states are demographically and economically similar, the level of commitment in WI to its flagship U is just higher than it is in MN. This manifests itself in many ways at the schools. UW has long been (and, as barrons points out, still is) rated academically superior to UMN in more areas. But, having gone to both schools, I would add that the more-focused (please note, for example, that the overall graduation rate at UW is 79%, at U of MN 63%), better-defined, and more challenging experience at UW is also superior to what most students experience at UMN.</p>

<p>maybe the cali kids dont know about Wisc. becasue its so cold! they see Wisconsin and think, "TOO COLD!" and skip right over it in everything not seeing that it is a good school</p>

<p>One thing I like about University of Wisconsin- Madison is the students being able to balance study and play. Not too many universities ranked high have such a student body.</p>

<p>"And for the person who says that Wisconsin-Madison has a great business school... Not in particular. They're like in the 30s-40s? I don't live by rankings, but..."</p>

<p>Actually, we are about 2 spots lower than Carlson, and our undergrad business program is rated quite a bit higher than UMinn.</p>

<p>Minnesota has always been very jealous of UW-Madison. Minnesota is making gains now, but they will not be sustainable, even if the U tries to bribe students to come with ridiculously low OOS tuition (while also raising tuition on its own students and putting them deeper in debt). And you can't buy rep by making it cheap to go there. UW's "rep" - especially with the East Coast, has been built up over DECADES stretching back to before World War II, much like the real UM (Michigan). </p>

<p>UW also, very unlike UMinn, has some of the strongest "school spirit" in the country and for that reason year in and year out is usually the 1st or 2nd public school when it comes to alumni giving rates, even though they have significantly less alumni than UMinn.</p>

<p>Wisconsin says it has 70 programs ranked in the top 10 nationally. Does anyone know the programs? or can provide a list of all the programs? (like how Michigan does it on their forums). If this is not possible, I'm sorry for asking.</p>

<p>gardening-9
orchestra-2
nathanism-5
not letting me in-1</p>

<p>Starts with actuarial science and goes to zoology.</p>

<p>This list is based on research publications but gives a decent idea of many of the top UW programs. </p>

<p>FSP</a> Index Top Performing Individual Programs</p>

<p>That's an informative list, thanks Barrons.</p>

<p>Wow, that's an incredible list. I notice Geography and Sociology, normally top ranked programs, aren't in this ranking so things must change a bit year to year. </p>

<p>Looks to me like Wisconsin has the most top performing programs of any Big Ten school (yes, even Michigan).</p>

<p>I think one thing that list looks at is publications per professor. Sociology is a very large dept with some senior profs who probably don't go for the volume in getting articles published anymore. I can assure you that Soc and Geog are still top ranked.</p>

<p>wow thanks barrons thats really a great list</p>

<p>But this is 2006-2007 where do you find 2008-2009?</p>

<p>Sheesh, they don't change that fast. This is not a ranking of pop singers. Departments remain about the same for decades. The study uses the prior four years of publications and other data so no one year has too much impact.</p>