Wisconsin vs Northeastern

<p>I've narrowed my choices down to Wisconsin-Madison and Northeastern, but somehow I can't decide which one to attend. I'm going to be a computer science major most likely. Which would be better for this major?
The largest thing toward choosing Northeastern is the Co-Op program, which is apparently the best in the nation. Does Wisconsin offer anything similar to this such as internships?
Other than the Co-Op program, they are pretty much even...what should convince me to go to wisconsin over northeastern or vice-versa? Although I know most of you are going to vouch for wisconsin, try to answer as objectively as possible. </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>i really trust the Fiske Guide, and in their ratings i think the Quality of Life rating is especially important. Wisonsins got a 4/5, where Northeastern only has a 2/5. In fact it has a 2/5 in all 3 categories. it doesnt seem like as enjoyable as a school. plus the sports are huge at wisco. its like having a professional football/basketball/hockey team on campus</p>

<p>Wisconsin Football 12-1. Basketball 30-6. Bill Gates called UW one of the key CS schools. They have loads of internships locally and nationally. There are some good sized software firms in Madison.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Which would be better for this major?

[/quote]

Wisconsin has been the top 10 CS programs for as long as I can remember. Ranking and reputation aside, I can guarantee you that UW will provide one of the most rigorous CS programs in the nation. Non pun intended. As long as you are not intimated by the sheer talents and competitiveness of your classmates, you will enjoy the CS program.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The largest thing toward choosing Northeastern is the Co-Op program, which is apparently the best in the nation. Does Wisconsin offer anything similar to this such as internships?

[/quote]

Northeastern tries to make up their less rigorous program by overpowering their students with co-op experience. This works for certain IT positions but not the others which require a more rigorous CS training. </p>

<p>In UW, CS department is directly supported by the Engineering Career Service (ECS) which is absolutely top-notch. They are so good at what they are doing, i.e. brings companies on campus for both co-op/internship and permanent positions, that you will have to see the Career Connection events or the # of interview postings to make a believer of yourself. Don't take my words, call/email ECS office and ask the # of co-op opportunities for CS majors yourself! E.g. UW has been a core school for Microsoft for the last two decades. Google, too, although more recently. </p>

<p>If you are choosing between UW and one of the two top CS programs at nearby Cambridge, the decision will be a bit tougher. For UW vs NE, you should only seriously consider NE unless you want a less rigorous program, save $$ and/or whatever-cannot-leave-boston-reason.</p>