With a Departure from Historical Criteria, U.S. News Appears Willing to Shuffle Its Rankings

How do we know what factors the 1,650 people who responded to the survey based their answers on (34% participation rate, with no visibility to how many different institutions were represented in the survey takers)?

Many on CC have heard college administrators state that they pass the survey down to a low level staffer (if they even choose to have someone in their institution complete the survey), sometimes an academic advisor, sometimes even an AO, etc. I doubt many responding to this survey know about research output (or any other factor) of any school where they haven’t worked.

2 Likes

For a very large portion, getting a college education is a check the box exercise. The actual level of academic rigor may be well down the list. For some, it may be a negative. The number looking for the high rigor (CalTech, MIT, UChicago, etc) is a small population but overweighted on this site.

3 Likes

This suggests that neither reaches nor safeties are likely to be as suitable in this sense as matches for most students.

If this is the main criterion, the student’s application list should include safeties that are preferably large (so that a small percentage of academic outliers can form a peer group, and honors or other high rigor options are more likely to exist) and otherwise mostly matches (not reaches) in an academic peer sense.

IMO the vast majority of students can find academic peers at many schools. Take typical highly likely/safety schools that rack and stack like Iowa State, Iowa, ASU
there are many high achievers at all 3 of those schools. I do think for the academic outliers, like those who may end up at schools like MIT and CalTech, that it is more difficult (but not impossible) to find peers at typical highly likely schools
but that is a small minority of students.

5 Likes

Why do you assume a small class will have an inferior prof, and a large class will have a superior prof? I’ve had both large lectures with hundreds of students, and small lectures with a dozen students, and the quality of the professors averages out. At least with small classes, you actually get to talk to the professor, while with large classes, you’re often directed to talk to a TA first. Small classes worked a lot better for me.

Yes that’s my point. The ranking list that sells their magazines in the US is not their “global universities” list. USNWR know how to produce a list that ranks on research reputation. But they don’t make their money from it and it’s not plausible for them to abandon their moneymaker.

Ok, so I’m getting confused about where you are going with this?

Here’s the conversation thread so far, as best as I can piece it together:

1. @prezbucky made their own short list based on their perception of “overall academic strength” in which UCB was in the top 10, UCLA in the top 25.
  2. You replied that UCLA had seen an increase in applications and decrease in admit rate, and this was reflected in its US News (presumably “National Universities”) ranking, in which it had caught up to UCB.
  3. prezbucky and I replied that popularity among students (reflected in an increase in applications and decrease in admit rate) isn’t the same thing as academic strength. I mentioned several ranking systems including US News “Global Universities” which are more focused on academic reputation and research output, and in which UCB and UCLA have relative rankings similar to prezbucky’s listing.
  4. Several posters discussed whether purely academic factors should be the most heavily weighted criteria in a ranking system, with various posters (including me) arguing that it was good to have a variety of ranking systems, since not all students prioritize purely academic factors. Some students are looking for quality of undergraduate level teaching, some are looking for strength at the graduate research level, some students are looking for non-academic factors. Different rankings can reflect different priorities, and that is a good thing.
  5. You argued that US News wouldn’t seek to replicate global rankings focused on graduate research level academic strength.
  6. This seemed like a bizarre claim to me, because they literally do have such a list and it’s even called “global universities,” so I pointed that out.

No one argued that US News would, or should, abandon their money making “National Universities” list. At least I didn’t see that claim in this part of the thread?

1 Like

And good for you. But some seem to feel that large classes cannot be as good as small classes and I don’t think that is universally true.

3 Likes

Agree with this. Sometimes, large classes are a reflection of a critical mass for a major or track. And having sufficient motivated peers and seniors could result in greater opportunities for learning and extra-curriculurs such as robust club offerings.

True: they probably don’t know about research output. It probably fair to say they know even less about undergraduate teaching quality and focus.

Academics in specific fields might know more about “reputation” that is likely to be related to whose names they see in publications and who they see presenting at conferences. College admins (provosts and admissions officers and the like) might just be reliant on rankings themselves—hence my comment about a recursive loop.

And that response rate is low! The fact that USNWR derives 20% of their ranking from it is
 interesting.

“Faculty resources” is another ranking criteria that is highly problematic. See this article from 2017):

That means that a college that pays its full-timers well, and is miserly with its part-timers, is judged the same as one that is generous to both groups. And at the many research universities where much undergraduate teaching is done by part-timers, the hefty salaries for faculty members who may be focused on research make the institution look commendable with regard to faculty resources, even if those doing the actual teaching are paid but a fraction (prorated) of their full-time colleagues’ salaries.

“A university that mistreats its [non-full-time] employees this way is not giving its students a good education – no matter how much it may pay its few remaining tenure-track faculty members,” says the petition. “Please consider switching the percentages for faculty salaries and part-timers to reflect the reality of today’s campuses.”

1 Like

I was responding to the subject of the thread about what USNWR would do to reshuffle its (headline aka “National Universities”) rankings. My point was simply that they won’t move to an ordering based on perceived research prowess, since they already have such a listing which they don’t appear to promote (at least within the US).

3 Likes

As one possible change, Williams could lose its first-place position among undergraduate-focused colleges, a place it has held for 20 years.

I, for one, think that alumni giving is a great way to gauge the satisfaction and success of a school’s grads. I might keep that metric.

2 Likes

Nonetheless, it seems that on CC students often are encouraged to "lock in their safeties’ and then “shoot their shot,” or some such expression, on reaches. As an approach to college selection, this may box out appropriate (and desirable) matches entirely, as well as heightening the odds that a student will attend a safety school.

1 Like

Obfuscating the “match” situation is the yield protection that goes on at a lot of selective – but not tippy-top selective – schools.

A kid with a 1500 and 3.9 in the old days might have been able to view schools like Tulane, Case Western, and American U as matches. I don’t think that’s the case anymore – they are either safeties or near safeties for ED (but you have to use your ED
), but reaches in the RD round. This is the case because their ED acceptance rates are so much higher than their RD rates – at Tulane a year or two ago, their ED acceptance rate was something crazy like 90%. Their RD rate was like 12%. So it was never really a match for anyone – it was either a safety/highly likely or a reach.

It’s becoming harder to find true admissions matches, at least among private schools.

2 Likes

As well as at top publics (Michigan and GT come to mind). But IMO this lack of true matches primarily affects high-stats unhooked kids.

4 Likes

I take the opposite opinion to most posters on here in that I think reputation and career outcomes should be a significant component of any ranking system.

Harvard wins most cross-admits against Princeton but I’d have thought Princeton would provide a more dedicated undergraduate experience if you were looking for pure academics alone. To my mind, that means a non-negligible component have to be choosing Harvard because Harvard has a certain reputation.

A big benefit of attending a university is the recognition that comes from that. There are a few university brands that have global recognition and I don’t believe that the level of undergraduate education is so unparalleled at those universities that other less recognized universities cannot compare. That means a significant component of people are choosing those universities for reputation as well as career opportunities.

3 Likes

Harvard also has Boston/Cambridge on its side. Princeton is in a (nice) suburbanish setting, but it probably doesn’t hold the same appeal as Boston for most kids.

When we’re talking Ivy vs. Ivy battles
 I bet most kids have reasons other than negligible prestige differences for choosing the school they do.

Now, Ivy vs. Podunk U – yes, absolutely.

Given that some posters have referred to “lower Ivies”, it does look like (perceived) prestige differences between them are significant to them.

I thought this was a fairly relevant article. 65% of cross-admits to Harvard/Yale chose Harvard.

But the article interviewed 31 students who were cross-admitted to Harvard/Yale - granted, a small sample size but very few cited location (3 people) as a reason for choosing Harvard. I can’t imagine New Haven being particularly appealing but it wasn’t a reason why people chose Harvard on the whole.

“I would conclude that Harvard does in fact have a very strong brand,” Brenzel said in an e-mail, “but that for those looking past the branding strength, Yale has enormous appeal.”

Zubair added that many other students he met who were deciding between Yale and Harvard saw reputation as major tipping factor.

Even today, when family friends at her local church ask where Kan is headed to college, her mother will mention that she was accepted to Harvard but chose to attend Yale instead to which there would be gasps of “why Yale and not Harvard?” Kan said.

Dany Jradi, who was also admitted to Yale this year, said he also chose Harvard based on its international reputation and the future opportunities and connections the Harvard name would bring. Originally from Lebanon, Jradi said that most people in his home country have only heard of either Harvard or Oxford.

So I stand by my claim that even Ivy vs Ivy (Harvard and Yale are practically of the same quality from an academic stand point with variance in individual subjects sure), people are choosing based on reputation + name recognition.

The anecdote of a mother always telling others that their kid got into Harvard but chose Yale is comical but it has some truth to it.

Therefore, reputation (even Ivy vs Ivy) should play an important part in rankings considering that’s why many kids (not all, let me be clear) are choosing their colleges.

1 Like