Withdrawing applications- does it help anyone?

My daughter, like most, has some acceptances, some rejections, some deferrals, and some still pending. she is beginning to decline some acceptances and withdraw some pending applications. is this a good idea? like, will it actually help somebody else who potentially is hoping to get in? or at this point is it too late to really help anyone and she should just let the deadline for accepting an offer come and go?

1 Like

never too late. we were asked to withdraw apps to the UCs.

2 Likes

It may matter at some colleges. If, for example, the college was about to admit her with a 0.1 (10%) yield estimate, then withdrawal would reduce its estimated matriculant class by 0.1. If she and four others like her withdraw, perhaps another applicant at the margin with a 0.5 (50%) yield estimate may be moved from the wait list or reject category to the admit category.

3 Likes

Yes. My kid was accepted EA and decided to go there, withdrew all his other submitted applications before end of Dec. We felt it would make things easier for the schools and for other students. Kid didnt need the ego boost of other acceptances and merit awards.

7 Likes

Is it just me or do some colleges make it impossible to figure out how to decline an offer? Some make it so easy with an obvious a link- others it seems virtually impossible. Anyone have advice on ones you can’t find how other than just calling admissions to ask?

2 Likes

If they make it hard, why bother declining?

Because I don’t want to keep a spot if there is any chance someone on a waitlist can benefit

6 Likes

Most colleges won’t go to the waitlist until after May 1. Their yield prediction estimates how many accepted students will ultimately not enroll, so declining an offer early won’t really benefit any waitlisted student.

3 Likes

I think you have til May 1 and it doesn’t matter. Schools have yield predictions so most know you and many others will decline. Those that make it impossible then they’ll know on May 2 when you haven’t deposited. Some schools may offer WL early if too many decline but in general, while the thought is nice, it likely has little or no impact.

I think the reason to decline isn’t to help others but to help yourself mentally.

Until a school is officially gone, through marketing or just general indecision, a school may creep back into your mind. If it’s gone, that can’t happen.

By keeping your decisions open, you may also get a bribe from someone - someone who hears you aren’t coming might find some last minute $$.

There’s no right answer here but I suggest you do what’s best for you because your timing is unlikely to impact others. But the thought is admirable.

2 Likes

There are some that start to tap their waitlists in March and April. VT did last year.

I think it is also helpful for the senior to let some of those go mentally as well. They can focus on where they are going.

1 Like

And if offered a named merit or other opportunity that could be offered to another student, please decline that. It was nice for my daughter to benefit from someone else declining early and she was offered that higher scholarship that only goes to one person a year.

2 Likes

Just make 100% sure that once you accept that, that is 100% where you want to go to. Can’t undo it. In reality it probably doesn’t make a difference. Everyone has the same May 1st deadline unless something drastically changes.

Some have reported wait list admission before May 1.

If enough admits decline early, that can readjust the yield prediction early.

An overqualified admit likely has a lower yield estimate than one at the margin, so the former declining is like to have a lesser effect than the latter declining.

1 Like

One great benefit of declining offers is that the schools you don’t want to attend will stop sending mail, emails, and text messages, which was very welcome at our house! It seems like it’s been non-stop communication from 15 different schools since August/Sept, so it was quite a relief when things quieted down.

Then the only school sending you stuff will be the one that you will actually be going to. Declining offers highly recommended here!

2 Likes