Wonderful New Tradition

<p>**Read the announcement below to learn about the new tradition.</p>

<p>ANNOUNCEMENTS
‘CELEBRATING ACHIEVEMENT’ BEGINS NEW TRADITION — Dr. Judy Bonner and the Office of Academic Affairs are pleased to announce the start of a new tradition for the UA family: the launch of “Celebrating Achievement.” This new song is designed to publicly recognize and celebrate students, faculty and staff who achieve national recognition, awards and honors.</p>

<p>This week and next, Denny Chimes will play the new celebratory song at 9 a.m., noon and 3 p.m. to help the campus community become familiar with the melody and to recognize and honor students who are past recipients of national-level awards. This includes 15 Rhodes Scholars, 37 Goldwater Scholars, eight Truman Scholars, 19 Hollings Scholars, two Javits Fellows, one Udall Scholar and one Portz Scholar. The song will also play in honor of faculty and staff who have achieved national recognition.</p>

<p>When you hear “Celebrating Achievement” played on the Chimes in the coming months, please stop for a moment to celebrate success and then look for an email announcing the award recipient’s name and honor.</p>

<p>***Okay, I cannot link to YouTube per the forum rules, but if if you want to hear this -go to YouTube and then in the search box type “chimes-special 08/31/2012”, the first video should be it. The video is of Denny Chimes, listen through the regular chimes ringing to the new song.</p>

<p>Kudos to Dr. Judy Bonner for beginning this tradition</p>

<p>Youtube links are now allowed, so go ahead and link it. </p>

<p>Facebook links aren’t allowed.</p>

<p>Here it is: Be patient, new song begins at 1:10
<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p>A tradition, by definition, cannot be something new.</p>

<p>Nothing against this new song thing, but I just see too many instance of that error these days.</p>

<p>Okay, let’s just call it a tradition in the making…</p>

<p>Whether it is a tradition, or the birth of a tradition, I think it is awesome.</p>

<p>I agree. I think it was a wonderful way for Dr. Judy Bonner to end her interim term as “acting” President of the university and leave her special mark behind.</p>

<p>I will always fondly think of her when I hear the “special chimes”, and I know that these chimes will ring often, as the UA students and faculty continue to achieve great things.</p>

<p>Beautiful song. Beautiful sentiment. Roll Tide!!</p>