Woo-hoo, just ordered DS's textbooks

<p>Did some comparison shopping (Amazon, SupeStore, Abe Books, half-com), factored in the hassle of buying from multiple vendors at Abe Books and half.com, factored in Amazon’s free shipping…and decided to go with Amazon.</p>

<p>One text wasn’t available anywhere…I think the latest edition may not be available quite yet. (I was searching by ISBN number, which I’d copied and pasted from the Supe Store listings.) But everything else was there. The total order came to $207.39. Then we also ordered a Greek lexicon and a Latin dictionary – not required for any course, but DH thought they would be a very good idea for a History/Classics double major! So then the total came to $301.37.</p>

<p>All the books were new. One was slightly used, “like new.”</p>

<p>Not bad for an entire semester. When DS took two classes at our local community college, his texts (bought at the CC bookstore) were about $100 each!</p>

<p>Wow, you are organized. I just remembered I forgot to book the shuttle for Sunday and had to get them on the phone. Nevermind all the other stuff he was supposed to do prior to BB- vax, placement test, photo. Oh well, I’m sure it will work out. With graduation yesterday there just wasn’t any time.</p>

<p>I am SOOOOOOO jealous!! D doesn’t even do BB until August! Text books has been one of my concerns, what we save in plane fair etc, will be eaten up in book costs! I am glad to hear Amazon had all of them, with the 2 day free shipping that is probably the best option for us too.</p>

<p>Lucky. My textbooks are gonna run me around $600-700. Stupid textbook manufacturers all published new editions, I can’t find any of them online cheaper (save like a 15 dollar difference on Amazon) AND none of them are in ebook form!! Ah well, price of being an upperclass engineer taking 18 hours.</p>

<p>LadyDi: was the “missing book” a math or science textbook by any chance? D has found that her math & science texts have been looseleaf texts that are specific to UA only. They’re the only books she has “had” to buy from the Supe Store.</p>

<p>Shopping around for textbooks will save any student lots of money. The other thing that helps is if the book is required for more than one class – Calculus, for example. Even if one has to purchase a new or relatively new copy, divide the cost over two or more semesters, and you see the savings. Truthfully, over the course of four semesters, I think my son has spent maybe $1,000 on books, and that includes the $6 cost for a math book last year.</p>

<p>LOL, Idinct, we did all the vax stuff at the last minute before the May 31/June 1 Bama Bound, so no…not always too organized here! :wink: (It all worked out just fine. The Bama folks are sooooo accommodating and non-bureaucratic…it is simply amazing!)</p>

<p>RobD: No, it was a writing handbook for English 103. Since different profs have different standards re footnotes vs. endnotes, AP Style vs. Chicago Manual, etc., we figure it’s important to get just the right edition of the assigned handbook! So, we will keep looking. DS may contact the professor. He (the prof) is reputed to be an incredibly nice guy, so he should prove helpful. It’s possible there was a typo in the ISBN number in the Supe Store listing. Anyhoo…</p>

<p>Mesquite Girl – yes, liberal arts folks have it so much easier in so many ways, LOL!</p>