Worth retaking ACT?

I scored a 36 on a March school day ACT but scored a 35 in Science (and missed a question in Math, if that matters) and scored only a 9/12 on writing. I am confident I can boost my writing score with a bit more awareness of the rubric and am hearing conflicting opinions on whether to retake and the actual value of the writing section from parents, counselors, etc.
Any insight would be helpful. Thank you!

Worth retaking ACT?

No. The writing score is good, but bo college cares about the writing score anymore.

Great job, but spend the time on other things

6 Likes

It won’t make any difference in your applications, whether you have a 35 or a 36 on the ACT. Move on. Focus on finishing strong on your grades this term, on an EC spike (what are you doing this summer?), on making a college list, on your essays for applications. Your ACT score is great, good enough for the most selective colleges, but even a 36 would not necessarily get you in. You need those other components. Focus on them now.

I have a student who was NMF and took the ACT 3 times in order to score a perfect 36 across all subtests. Academically stellar but very minimal ECs.

Shut out at all schools except her safety. Will attend the state flagship next fall.

Colleges like to see a high score that corroborates grades and other intellectual pursuits, but scores are no longer the end-all-be-all at top schools. You already have a perfect composite 36; why in the world would you retake? Colleges don’t care about the writing and you don’t even have to report it. Figure out what makes you an interesting person and focus on that.

2 Likes

There is zero need for “perfection.” You got the top score. Be happy and enjoy choosing colleges!

I am amazed that ANYONE is conflicted about the need to retake a 36. And almost no colleges care about the writing section. (*See below.) I’m not sure who is giving you advice, but please ignore them. They are wrong, no ifs, ands, or buts. College Board has completely eliminated the writing section. This kind of post actually saddens me. Please do not waste time and money. You are 100% done.

• Actually, 6 colleges in America care:
    -Martin Luther College (MN)
    -Soka University of America (CA)
    -United States Military Academy (West Point) (NY)
    -University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (TX)
    -Wyoming Catholic College (WY)
    -Yellowstone Christian College (MT)

It saddens me too. No kid should ever be thinking like this. Retaking a perfect score? What!!!

1 Like

You’re fine! It would make no real difference as you are already in the 99th percentile. As @parentologist said you should be channeling that energy into the other aspects of your applications.