Would commuting every day from Mount Horeb be ridiculous?

<p>I'm gonna be a freshman at UW this fall, but I'm already considering where to live for sophomore year.
My sister (she's 28) has a place in Mount Horeb, and is begging me to come and live with her that year, because she's "lonely."</p>

<p>Do a lot of kids commute from other towns in Dane County?
Would it not be advisable to go that far out?
How long would that commute take, anyway? (I looked at a map and it looked to be 30ish minutes)</p>

<p>---Thanks!</p>

<p>Parking would be the biggest issue, I think. It is a doable commute - many faculty and staff do it every day. You might think about joining one of the vanpools if you can't get parking. Transportation</a> Services - Vanpool</p>

<p>That Vanpool thing looks like it's only for UW Employees though. If they had something for students, that would be better. I still want to spend time on campus when I'm not in class though.</p>

<p>But if you say it's a manageable commute, I'll take your word for it. </p>

<p>I think it just might be a little far away from the whole "experience."</p>

<p>As far as I know, the vanpool is open to anyone - there are just extra incentives for UW employees. </p>

<p>You are right about not getting the whole college experience if you commute, though. My son will be living on campus even though I drive in every day and there are busses that he could use, too. We don't want him to miss out on the experience.</p>

<p>Do not consider living with your sister, even closer to campus, and commuting. You will discover how much there is to do on campus and won't want to miss out on things. UW is the kind of campus where people are active all times of day, all days of the week, it isn't a commuter or suitcase (home most weekends) population. Your sister will have to have her own life.</p>

<p>Not a fun commute during the winter.</p>

<p>Be thankful you get to be on campus this fall- when February comes and people are deciding whether to return to the dorms or sign an apartment lease you will have a much better idea of what to do. By then your sister should have adjusted to her separate life and you will understand why we are negative on the commuting idea. I had a friend at UW who missed out on spontaneous activities, especially in the evening/night, because she walked from home to campus (we couldn't walk to her house at 10:00 pm and ask if she could join us- her parents...).</p>