Would my son fit in?

<p>My son, who is a junior in high school, is very interested in this school. As we are Jewish and from New Jersey, how well would he fit in with the culture of the school? Does anyone know what percentage of students come from the northeast?</p>

<p>Yes, certainly he would fit. Lots of "coasties," from both east and west. A very large Jewish population, and a brand new Hillel being built. 4-5,000 Jewish students. </p>

<p>The just retired chancellor proudly pointed out several years ago at the diversity forum that UW was taking in Jewish students when universities in the east had quotas on them.</p>

<p>Here's an older article from one of the student-run newspapers on the new building:</p>

<p>The</a> Badger Herald - Hillel plans new Langdon building
Some other articles:</p>

<p>WISCONSIN</a> STATE JOURNAL
JUF</a> News : UW-Madison Hillel's longtime dream now a reality: A groundbreaking celebration
J.H</a>. Findorff & Son, Inc. Current Project</p>

<p>UW gets 75 apps a year from Scarsdale NY HS just for example. I'm from NJ and loved UW.</p>

<p>They also remodeled a dining hall in the dorms (at Chadbourne- anyone can eat in Res Halls and you don't need to eat at your closest dining hall, all a la carte pricing) to offer kosher dining to students- there obviously are enough students to warrant it. Students from the NE, including Jewish, have been around UW forever. You can find geographic statistics on the UW website. I find the UW website easy to explore.</p>

<p>The Jewish population at Madison is very warm and welcoming. The Hillel is active and vibrant. The Hebrew and Judaic Studies departments have a lot of course offerings. Your son will likely fit right in.</p>

<p>This campus is so liberal that I am sure he will fight right in. If you have not yet toured the school I will do so and also get in contact with the Jewish student orgs on campus and local to get a feel for the personal sense of community on campus and off. I am an RA in a private dormitory and I have a few Jewish students who are freshmen this year. They are actively involved on campus (the male resident is actually in a frat!) and have fit in well with the residence community. </p>

<p>Here are a few helpful sites:
JEMUW.com</a> - Jewish Experience Madison located right in the middle of campus off State St. by the capitol
Home</a> - Hillel Foundation University of WisconsinSite for what's mentioned above
Beth</a> Israel Center Home Page on the south-west side of campus</p>