Would you mind if asnwering my question?

My situation differs from others in some way; I will sumbit SIR(?) to UCSB, and probably get instate residency, because I am here for three years, will graduate from California public high school, and California ID card… However, my parent would move to other state in August.
Here is my question: Do I need to pay OOS tuition fee at first year because my parent will lose their residency in California during the year, or to pay just instate because at the time when I submit SIR, I would be considered as California Resident? I’m really confused over the residency policy.
Also, am I eligible for AB 540? I have a citizenship, attend three years in California, and will graduate from California public high school?

If your parents were California residents who have moved to another state and you remain in California and enroll in a California public post-secondary institution within one year of your parents’ departure, you will get in-state tuition for all 4 years at the UC.
I would call UCSB to confirm. When do your parents plan to move?

They will move in August. @Gumbymom

I would call UCSB just to confirm before you SIR but it sounds like as long as you enroll now, you should have in-state tuition for all 4 years.

http://ucop.edu/general-counsel/_files/ed-affairs/uc-residence-policy.pdf

The financial independence requirement will not be a factor in the residence determination if the student meets at least ONE of the following criteria:
the student reached the age of majority in California while his parents were residents for tuition purposes of this state AND the California resident parents left the state to establish a residence elsewhere AND the student continued to reside in the State of California after the parents’ departure.

Thank you!!!You’re my savior!!!

But what did you mean by’residents for tuition purposes of this state?’ Does it mean my parent must have graduated from California colleges? @gum

I mean my question was how the parents were residents for purpose of tuitions? In my understanding, only students can be residents for tuition of purpose… I think I’m wrong, but could you help me? @Gumbymom ?

Your parents were RESIDENTS of the state.

This is language from the UC’s, not from @Gumbymom.
It means, the “purpose”(reason) of instate tuition, is that your parents were living in the state. It has NOTHING to do with your parents being students.

Seriously, if you hope to do well at UCSB, please take some language courses to improve your English. If you can’t interpret a couple of paragraphs, you will have serious problems at the university.

I should have highlighted that the above is what is written in the UCOP document concerning your status as a student.
Page 18 under exceptions.

Call the school since you will have to submit your SLR (statement of residency) to them before you attend.

Thank you, Aunt Bea and Gumbymom! I feel the need to improve my English skill.
Also, @Gumbymom I got an email from them, saying “as long as I maintain my ties to California, I’m fine.” So I guess, the only thing I need not to do is to change my address to OOS, until officially, I can use my dorm as mailing address.

Best of luck and enjoy your time at UCSB.

@Gumbymom
Sorry to ask one more question…I think I’m too concerned about my college…
How can we fulfill the intent to reside on California? I’m 19 years old now, and the time I turned into 18 years old was back in December, 2015. That being said, for my parent to be qualified as California resident when I turned into 18 years old, according to UC policy, my parent were required to satisfy presence in California for 366 days, and the intent to reside on California for one year, as well, before December 2015…My father got drive license in Feb, 2015, but our permanent address was in California since Nov, 2014. Also, my father registered his car before I turned in 17 years old. Were my parent California residents at the time I turned into 18 years old?

I’m sorry for bugging you, but it is serious problem, now. If I can not get exempted from Financial Independence Requirement, and therefore, need to pay OOS tuition, then I should submit SIR in other college…

If you turned 18 while your parents were CA residents then you meet the criteria as stated in the UCOP document. To ease your fears, call admissions to confirm. Get the information direct from the source.

@Gumbymom Sorry, I was just askig as long as my family permanent address was in California for a year before I turned into 18 years old, my family satisfied the intent to reside on California…I heard UCs defined California Resident in their own way, and when I called them, they answered in pretty vague way, rather than Yes or No.

Yes, you should be fine based on meeting the UCOP document criteria. UC’s define a California resident based on the UCOP document that I linked in post #3.
Maybe if you call the UC Regents # you may a definitive answer: Tel: (510) 987-9800