Would you take Calc I & II in CC?

<p>My D is contemplating taking Calc I & II at a community college instead of AP Calc AB & BC at her HS. Would this be viewed negatively from an admission standpoint?</p>

<p>I don't see why it would...no.</p>

<p>Both are given an extra GPA point, so they will be counted the same. Definitely an advantage if she can be competitive in college classes with college aged kids.</p>

<p>Note that many high schools will not allow you to take a CC course they offer on their own campus. You will need approval from your guidance counselor and the CC.</p>

<p>Ok, here's the thing.</p>

<p>Calc at a CC isn't necessarily easier. You actually get less time to really absorb the material. But in your case, I think UC's would be just fine with a CC course. Just apply to a CC and then they'll tell you to complete the form for concurrent enrollment. Get the form, go to your counselor at HS and then have them sign it.</p>

<p>You can easily take a Calculus course, it just... isn't that easy.</p>

<p>i am in ur situation. i took calc I over summer. im taking calc II now...</p>

<p>i think its better than AP cuz it guarantees credit rather than having to waste more time and money on the AP.</p>

<p>also, because our school only has AB and it goes a whole year (weird huh?) i did this.</p>

<p>Yeah I am a senior and I could have taken year long AP Calc AB at my high school but I took Calc I at a city college. Now second semester I am taking Calc II at cc.</p>

<p>I only have class 2 nights a week and it is a lot to cover. Last year in Pre Cal I got over 100% on every test but one. Last semester I got a B in Calc I.</p>

<p>I feel that it will prepare me more for engineering next year and being able to go at a faster pace will help. Also the extra stuff I learn taking Calc II will be helpful.</p>

<p>It wouldn't be viewed negatively, but, as other posters have said, AP Calc is probably a lot easier to learn and perform better in than Calc at a CC. With APs, you go in with people roughly your caliber, so competition isn't necessarily out of hand. With CC, those people are older and are accustomed to college classes, so that might necessarily be seen as a disadvantage.</p>