Wow.... not a single hotel room available for August move-in

<p>Just booked a room in Meridian for Friday the 17th.</p>

<p>I’m guessing the campus will be an absolute ZOO on the 18th and that traffic will be a nightmare.</p>

<p>Yep it will be crazy crowded. Not only is it move in day but it is also Bid Day for the over 2000 girls who will be going through recruitment the week before. We are expecting over 1000 parents to be on sorority row for this event! The football also has scheduled a scrimmage for 11am at the stadium. I believe it’s closed to the public but don’t quote me on that! I for one am so glad that my DD will already be there and moved in :).<br>
For our newbie parents…make hotel reservations wayyyy in advance. You can always cancel them if you don’t need them.</p>

<p>Not sure where you’re looking, but I just (after panicking from your post) booked the Microtel for Aug 16-20. Even got 20% off for early booking. Total with tax $82 a night for 2 queen beds. Go to the Wyndham website.</p>

<p>I’ll figure out the rest of our plans later and adjust the reservation if needed.</p>

<p>I checked about 7 places on line and came up with zeroes. No big deal, though. Meridian is 90 miles away, and it works for us since we’re coming from New Orleans. Our plan is to drive in, unload him, kiss him goodbye, and hightail it back home.</p>

<p>Hotels.com also has lots of hotels available that weekend. Maybe you should have tried an 8th place?</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip, Chardo. I just grabbed a room at the Microtel. I’ll keep the other one until the wife tells me what to do. (LOL)</p>

<p>Sorry for the false alarm, folks. But I can tell you that none of the Marriott or Hilton properties had anything as of last night.</p>

<p>These hotels typically require a two night booking for certain weekends. If you were booking one night only that was the problem.</p>

<p>Thanks slippy for posting this because I wouldn’t have even thought to book a room for move-in until July. My husband gets Hilton points so we were able to get a Hampton Inn near Birmingham (Breemer or something like that) for $109 a night. Any Hilton property closer was booked but this will be fine as it will cut 45 minutes off our drive on Friday, and just add a little before move-in on Saturday. Glad to have it booked!</p>

<p>i just booked a room at the microtel on veterans parkway for move-in aug 10th (alabama action). i was pleasantly surprised by the availability and price. does anyone have any comments about this hotel? is it fairly close to campus? is it clean?</p>

<p>Yes, it is close to campus and close to many conveniences…Target, Home Depot, the mall, Midtown Village, many restaurants. Many have been happy staying there.</p>

<p>We’re not even close to firming up our plans…have just kinda-sorta decided to help DS move in rather than having him do it on his own this time. Hope we have some flexibility with rooms!</p>

<p>My motto is book now and cancel later. Most hotels only require a credit card guarantee upfront but not actual payment. And most are cancelable up until the day of arrival. I suggest booking now and then canceling later if need be. Just don’t do a pre-pay or no cancel reservation.</p>

<p>I book the Hampton Inn -University yesterday for August 18th with no problem. D is moving in on the 19th.</p>