WPI Early Decision/Action for Fall 2023

No, WPI did not meet DS2022 EFC.
Received $0 financial aid grants (just loans), and only $23K/yr merit.

1 Like

Ok. Where are you all seeing the merit aid in the portal?

The merit award information should be in the decision letter from the portal.

It’s in the fourth paragraph in the letter.

If you haven’t gotten it yet, you might get it later.

1 Like

Got it! Thank u so much!

1 Like

Son accepted EA with presidential scholarship. WPI is a top choice, but will come down to cost compared to other options we’re still waiting on.

3 Likes

That is great! Congratulations! Would you mind sharing his stats?

1 Like

Son got accepted with Presidential Scholarship! ACT 33, GPA 3.95, Captain of Robotics team, really awesome at Computer Aided Design, 5 APs so far- currently taking 4 APs, 4 years of PLTW courses. He is thrilled!

3 Likes

No stats to share because he attends a non-traditional school (no grades, class rank, honors or AP classes) but he took college level classes independently and his ECs show a deep interest and aptitude for CS.

4 Likes

My D23 got into WPI EA yesterday. It’s one of her top two choices (other is Northeastern). She got a $25,000 presidential scholarship. Even so, by my calculations, that leaves about $54,000 per year that we will have to pay. Is there any other aid (not loans) that comes out after the initial decision? The amount that we are expected to contribute far exceeds our EFC. It has totally left me unable to be thrilled that my daughter got in because it is unattainable for us at that price.

2 Likes

This is something I’ve heard a lot about WPI (that the financial aid is just not that good, and in many cases grossly insufficient). My son’s portal said Financial Aid decisions would be released in the next week, so we are trying to be patient and see what that says.

However, from reading threads from past years’ decisions and scouring the WPI website, I see no indication that they claim to meet financial need. The NPC is pretty poor, but I tried running it with a variety of family financial scenarios and I didn’t find any that looked like the school met need with institutional grants.

I spoke to the financial aid office at an open house to see if we could get a better idea of WPI’s process and level of commitment to meeting financial need. They were friendly but really unhelpful. Basically they said, “It is all a mystery; you’ll just have to apply and see what kind of financial aid package you get.” :roll_eyes: Also past threads have multiple examples of people appealing Fin Aid packages and being told, “It is what it is. Take it or leave it.” I didn’t find anyone who successfully appealed their initial aid package.

Anyway, I’m not hopeful that we’ll get any aid beyond the Presidential Scholarship. But WPI probably won’t be affordable for us if we don’t get more.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing what you know. This is our first go around with college admissions, so we are new to all of this, and while I thought I educated myself as to how this work, I am still learning though the process. It’s just very disappointing for my daughter because we excepted a bit more in aid to bring more to our EFC.

1 Like

You might still get something! You should know within the next week or so, they said. I just wanted to tell you what I have heard in the past, so you can temper your hopes. There will be financial aid packages that come out next week, but they might not be as good as some other schools packages are.

But, maybe you will get what you need to make the school affordable! We are still reserving a tiny bit of hope that will be true for us.

3 Likes

Son was pushed to Regular Decision - I have heard its rare to be accepted in that way. Thoughts…

1 Like

Did you run their NPC? Also, I think they have a couple of scholarships with separate applications?

We did awhile back but I don’t recall seeing the scholarships. I will go back and check again. Thank you!

Only for FIRST and VEX participants. Everything else is no additional application needed.

https://www.wpi.edu/admissions/tuition-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships-grants/wpi-merit

There are also these programs, which are for specific populations (families of veterans, Tuition Exchange, some links to state low income grants).

2 Likes

Don’t give up hope.

DS2022 had several classmates who were deferred to RD who were accepted,
and even a few who were WAITLISTED and then were accepted in June or something, after other applicants had chosen other colleges opening up slots for students.

I think the bigger hurdle is affording it for most folks.
WPI definitely was too expensive for our wallet, but we knew that before applying. It’s my alma mater; it’s 45min away; son was recruited for sport, no application fee, so of course he was going to apply.

good luck

3 Likes

Do you know what our son should do to get in regular decision.

Glad to find this thread! My son is thrillllllllllled he got admitted EA to WPI - one of his absolute favorite schools. He got a $24k Pres. Scholarship, but like others have said, it’s still sooooooooo expensive. I see others here have applied for Tuition Exchange - I’ve heard it’s crazy (near impossible) to get it, and it’s easy to see how competitive it will be based on the incredible stats of the applicants I’ve read about in this thread. I’m glad to find such a warm and friendly group here, and I expect that speaks to the remarkable (hopefully) atmosphere at WPI!!

3 Likes

Does WPI request anything from deferred students?

I know MIT has the FUN form and Northeastern has LOCI (letter of continued interest).

I think he should write a LOCI,
and definitely keep up his grades.

Good luck.

1 Like