WPI Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

I saw this video clips from last year and it seems the housing process does not start till May. So it doesn’t seem like an enrollment deposit now would have any effect on housing choice in any way. I could be wrong. WPI is also our top choice right now, but S22 will wait to hear from a few other colleges before making the deposit.

2 Likes

Don’t rush to submit the deposit. Housing selection happens after all deposits are in and students have an opportunity to connect on SM and form groups. There’s really no reason to submit a deposit now if there is anything less than absolute certainty that this is the first choice college.

1 Like

Does anyone know when EA 2 decisions came out last year?

Mine was accepted and offered 20,000.

1 Like

Congratulations !! when did u get the acceptance email?

I think a few people here were also accepted into Rose-Hulman. I am interested to hear what your current thoughts are with regards to choosing one over the other. S22 was accepted EA to both and its roughly the same net price. We plan to visit both campuses in the coming weeks, but also would like to get some of your perspectives.

I may be completely biased, since I’m a WPI alum, we live 45minutes away, and I don’t know anything about RHIT.
My son didn’t want to go too far away, so RHIT was off the list.
Another reason why RHIT didn’t stay on the list is because the 25%/75% female/male ratio.

When I attended WPI, the freshman ratio was 1 female to 7 males. It quickly transitioned to 25/75 when I graduated. But I did notice a huge disparity to the college experience for many of the quiet introverted males who had a lot of trouble meeting women (outside of academic-related environment). As a female, it was great to have all that attention. But I knew I didn’t want my S22 to experience such disparity impacting his college experience.

I think WPI ratio is about 50/50 now.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response. I didn’t think about that aspect of student life until now.
Do you think WPI being close to Boston offers some advantages when it comes to internship, job search? S22’s intended major is computer engineering.

Worcester, and rt495 business corridor have a ton of business hiring CS/engineers, etc.
I did my internship/MQP in Hartford, CT.
I’m sure Boston/Waltham have tons to offer.

There will be no shortage of job opportunities.

2 Likes

Not trying scare people off, because I’m sure there are bad things happening at other colleges,
but if I’m rooting for WPI for all the good things, I must share the bad things also.

My freshman year, there was 1 suicide, for the entire 4 years I was there.
I don’t know what are all the reasons for this many this year at WPI.

WPI is 2nd in my son’s list and worry about this too.

It’s awful! We are local, so I would feel a bit more comfortable if my son decides to go there but something is not ok!

My kid was accepted to both Rose Hulman and WPI. RHIT would be less expensive, but it is off the list primarily due to the gender imbalance but also due to the high acceptance rate. (For the record, I support the gender imbalance concern but I don’t share the concern about acceptance rate.)

1 Like

Congratulations to your son. Both are great engineering schools but completely understand the concern regarding gender imbalance. College is afterall, more than just academic learning.

Also understand your son’s high acceptance rate concern. It’s a challenge not to get wrapped up in “prestige” but I would encourage him to focus on “fit” as we all know plenty of kids who went the “prestige” route only to have a miserable college experience.

1 Like

join admitted date and let the kids pick.
My son has office from NU and WPI.
I signed up both Admitted Students Dates and let him checking out.

RHIT and WPI are both great schools. Instead of acceptance rate, might I suggest looking at admitted student profiles. Both RHIT and WPI have the same SAT math–75% at 760. GPA for RHIT is 3.95 vs 3.9 for WPI. WPI gets 2x the applications as RHIT. What this tells me is that both schools are admitting similar students. RHIT has a higher acceptance rate because it is a niche school, and they get less unqualified applicants. WPI’s yield is 23% vs RHIT at 16%. Acceptance rate does not tell the complete story. (You can see how similar both schools are on NICHE with the scatter graphs.) Placement 6- months after graduation is an interesting statistic to compare schools–RHIT is 99%, WPI is 93%. Average starting salary at WPI is $64K and at RHIT it is $76K. Good luck to your student.

4 Likes

Did ED2 results come out today?

The three academic things I would be emphasize considering are the WPI 7-week terms (which are not right for everyone) vs. semesters, the project based curriculum at WPI vs more traditional undergrad programs, and the amount of doctoral research performed at each school (it increases the opportunities for government and industry driven undergraduate research which is important primarily if going into a research graduate program). Those are the most significant differentiators that I see. Both schools seem to have vibrant student communities, Greek options, etc., so how one fits relative to the other, while important, is really personal. The M/F ratio at WPI is getting close to 50/50 with the most recent incoming classes, but that is a result of higher merit awards for the female admits.

4 Likes

Greetings all, and congrats to those who have received admittance! DS was deferred. He has been in regular contact with coaching staff but the hang up is he has a single C on his transcript. Aside from that, stellar student with the AP’s and dual enrollment courses 3.8 unweighted. Deal breaker? Thanks for the help!

What subject was the “C” in and what year? Did he address the mark in any of his essays or extenuating circumstances section (if there were any)? I would encourage your son to send an LOCI to the Admissions Office giving them an update on activities/awards/grades, etc. If the “C” was in a subject that he now earned an “A” in, you can provide that context in the LOCI perhaps? Good luck.

1 Like