Writing About a Discord Server for UC PIQ #1

So at the start of my sophomore year (the year we were entirely in distance learning) I created a class Discord server and have been one of its admins since then. The server has allowed nearly 2/3 of the class to discuss their classes, exchange questions, and kind of served as a sufficient replacement for the gap in social interaction that distance learning had created for us. I’ve coded bots for it too (I’m going into cogsci which is somewhat cs related). But overall it has really helped connect people even through dire situations (like once a former student ran away from home and the server was used to find and alert his parents) I feel like it’s been the biggest thing I’ve done for my school and for my class.

I made the server out of my own initiative. I was brainstorming and thinking about how I could tie it into being rejected from class council but still wanting to contribute to the class regardless (maybe that could work better for another prompt). After all it was a full circle moment where upon seeing the success of the server, members of the council requested that we make it official and authorized by the school.

I’ve demonstrated my leadership in more conventional ways (I’m president of a club related to theatre something I’m big on at school) but I’m already talking about theatre in another essay.

Would talking about creating this server be too far out? Would it reach my audience of AOs?

In my opinion, this is the key statement. If you feel this is the biggest thing you’ve done, and it would be difficult to describe it in the activities section, you should write about it. Make sure that you define your role and that you are reflective - tell what you learned from the experience and how it changed your perspective on leading others.

1. Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes or contributed to group efforts over time.

Things to consider: A leadership role can mean more than just a title. It can mean being a mentor to others, acting as the person in charge of a specific task, or taking the lead role in organizing an event or project. Think about what you accomplished and what you learned from the experience. What were your responsibilities?

Did you lead a team? How did your experience change your perspective on leading others? Did you help to resolve an important dispute at your school, church, in your community or an organization? And your leadership role doesn’t necessarily have to be limited to school activities. For example, do you help out or take care of your family?